AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Will the Keyword or Creative Level URL be Served?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To confirm.  It seems as though Paid Search Only Campaigns will always serve the keyword level URLs.  However Content Only Campaigns will serve the Creative Level URL at times, even if you have keyword level URLs in place.  Does anyone else see this?  Does anyone know why?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will the Keyword or Creative Level URL be Served?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Michael S , Welcome to the Community,

The rule for the GDN is that the destination URL of the targeting method will be used if you enable custom bids for that targetting method. So by default your keywords have no custom bids this is why the Ad's URL is used. But if you set custom bids to keywords , the keyword that matches "the theme" from the context targeting can have a Destination URL which will be used.

It is explained here at the bottom of the page when you expand the "Destination URL's and the Display Network"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404246?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello;
I don't quite understand what do you mean by " However Content Only Campaigns will serve the Creative Level URL at times,"
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think he means that Display (Content) Only campaigns will use the Ad's (Creative) Level URL instead of the keyword's URL like in search.

But I am eager to find out from him if I interpreted wrong Smiley Happy 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Adrian 

Thanks for the feedback and link!  That article doesn't specifically talk about Keyword objects, but it makes sense.  I'll do some testing to confirm this.

@MosheTLV 

When I said 'Content Only' I was talking about setting a campaign's distribution to 'Display Network only' compared to 'Search Network Only.'  Also, it is possible to set URLs at the Ad/Creative level or the Keyword level.  Seeing how these URLs can be different I was trying to understand which one Google serves.  Sounds like a Keyword level URL will only be served if you have specifically set a bid.  But if you're using adgroup level bidding then Google will serve the Creative level URL.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@ Michael;

Quote:

Seeing how these URLs can be different I was trying to understand which one Google serves.  Sounds like a Keyword level URL will only be served if you have specifically set a bid.  But if you're using adgroup level bidding then Google will serve the Creative level URL. 

This is on the search network. To my recollection, on the GDN, you cannot set a keyword level URL. (Though I need to double check that, since bidding on a specific keyword on GDN is possible. )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Moshe is true, you can double check with the following :

The help text is very clear : link

"For your Display Network campaigns, you can add a destination URL for a particular managed placement, age, gender, topic, interest category, remarketing list, keyword, or ad.

AdWords will use the destination URL from the targeting method that you've enabled custom bids for. If you haven't provided a URL for this targeting method, we'll use the ad's destination URL."

Also from here : link

( expand "Limit your costs on keywords that don't lead to conversions" and scroll to the bottom)

"

Implement keyword destination URLs

Drive traffic to your site's page that's directly related to a keyword by implementing destination URLs at the keyword level. If you're using keyword-level destination URLs in your search campaign, you might want to do the same for the Display Network."

It is recommended there also to use DKI even if the keywords in the GDN are simple broad ( in the section "Increase traffic to your website" at the bottom of the recommendation list)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

OK; Thanks Adrian;

Interesting option, since on the GDN keywords work collectively as a "theme".  I find it a bit "odd" to target a specific keyword, unless it is a "leading keyword", that clearly represents the theme of the page.
It does, though, makes sense to use a different URL for topics; gender, age...those are boarder targeting methods - the ones commonly used to target audiences on GDN. (And, this is the whole point of GDN -  to target your audience.)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it is a very beautiful option which allows more relevance since we can send people to a landing page built around a keyword.It should help increasing the conversion rate for GDN.

It is a difficult concept to grasp, differentiating keywords in search and themes in GDN where keywords play a smaller role.