AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why would you set all page views = a conversion goal?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

In a recent review of a large Adwords campaign, I noticed that there was a conversion set up for "views of a key page" but it was set to "all pages" ... what might the purpose of an "all page views" conversion goal be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why would you set all page views = a conversion goal?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,
We've seen this before with publishers who set their CPM value (divided by 1000) as the conversion and conversion value for each page. This is essentially what they're getting paid by advertisers for each page view. This is usually multiplied by the number of ad units on the page.

So, say I have 4 ads on each page of my website and I've sold those ads at a CPM rate of $10., that page load generated 4 cents in revenue for me. Some advertisers do this to see how much each traffic source contributes to overall publishing revenue.

It's really a bad way to do do it and I don't endorse it but I've seen it done. So, it's a possible reason why you're seeing it.

Alternatively, it could be a mistake.

Re: Why would you set all page views = a conversion goal?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave for the response.

In this case, there is no need to calculate CPM - not a site with advertising. Corporate leadgen and ecommerce site.