AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why would I trust google to verify my goodle adwords results?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I launched and adwords account and so far have spent over $150. I use my host provider software to measure where my traffic is coming from and I can usually verify other sites who send me traffic but I can't see much of anything coming from an adwords ad even though my billing shows I paid for clicks. I have an Anylitics account but I also like 3rd party verification. So far it's not looking like the clicks I am paying for are really coming to my site. I checked the ad and it goes to the correct landing page but my host measurement data and the google data does not match. Something is not adding up.. well, except my adwords bills.

Just last month I paid for about 50 clicks but only see 9 clicks from http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads. I'm sure there is something I'm overlooking but I don't get that many site visits so it's easy for me to track where my visitors are coming from and so far they are not coming from adwords or it's partners. Will google refund me for clicks I'm not getting even though they say I am getting them but my data shows different?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why would I trust google to verify my goodle adwords results?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi ChicoTheleo G,

Checking the referrer data for AdWords clicks isn't reliable. They won't all come from the same place. If you have auto-tagging enabled, look for all clicks with a gclid value in the query string. You should be able to verify all AdWords clicks this way.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete but autotagging is still using google to verify google. I'm looking for another way to verify my ads are working.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi ChicoTheleo G,

I am suggesting you check your own web logs for traffic. Instead of looking at referrer data, look for the presence of a gclid value in the query string. Every visit that is the result of clicking on your ad will carry the gclid value if you have auto-tagging enabled. Not every visit as a result of clicking on your ad will come with the same referrer, and some will have no referrer at all. Looking at the referrer data is just not a good way to identify the traffic.

Are you suggesting Google is sending you phantom traffic? The only way for an entry to appear in your web logs is from an actual visit. Are you thinking Google is sending some sort of bot to your site with a gclid value in the query string to inflate your actual traffic? Google will identify their bots in the user agent. You should be able to find hits by any of the Google bots in your web logs, too.

An alternative to auto-tagging would be to provide a name/value pair in the query string of each and every one of your destination URL's. You could then look for the presence of your own defined variable and/or the value.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords