AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why way more "clicks" than hits!!??

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just received my AdWords account overview email with June data. It reports "2,811 Clicks."

Google Analytics, however, reports a total of 1,587 visits for June 1-June 30. I know that I am getting quite a few hits from search engines and other non-AdWords links, so one of these number is way off, or I don't understand the numbers somehow.

I have re-checked several times that my Googe Analytics code is on every page of my site, exactly following instructions for correct code and code placement.

I am obviously concerned that I am paying for 2,811 "clicks" when I appear to be getting far fewer hits. What am I paying for?

Thanks,

Ryvr Gilmartin

www.thefitnesstrain.com

thefitnesstrain.com@gmail.com

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Why way more "clicks" than hits!!??

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Trainer,

Please remove the CID from your post so as to protect your privacy.

You may have clicks in AdWords and visits in Analytics. The 2 technical terms, however, are not exactly the same hence the numbers you see for these metrics in AdWords and Analytucs may be different.

*** Clicks vs Visits

http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1257084#clicks_vs_visits

The help page linked-to above will give you detailed insight.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have read that doc, quite a few others, and several other related threads. My "visits" number does not come anywhere the AdWords clicks either, and I'm sure this is not all non-javascript mobile devices (though I will try disabling mobile if nothing else works).

Based on having read and understood many of Google's docs and threads about this, I am convinced that this is the result of fraudulent behavior by website owners. Hundreds of normal users a week would not be clicking on ads, then redirecting their browser before header javascript could load. That behavior might be quitely like from a website owner who wants to get click money in his pocket though.

I am systematically excluding domains whose clicks or click-rate look unusual. I recommend you keep this thread open. I will report back on the exclusions experiment, and if that doesn't work, whether disabling mobile helps. If we figure out a real answer to this, it will be helpful to other users too.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Trainer,

Thanks for your kind reply. The question seems now a bit different and focusing on visiting time users spend on your website. Click fraud has always been and still is a valid risk inherent in CPC advertising. The battle between providers and the bad boys is, of course, still ongoing and will never cease to do so I think. I'd note though that Google has done pretty much in this respect in recent years. I don't want to link you to yet another link page; the only thing I'd mention in this respect is that I've been active in this forum and the earlier ones since 2006 and the number of user complaints about click fraud has drastically decreased. That speaks for itself: customer satisfaction means quality. 

Thanks for your plans to report back on the exclusions experiment. Any feedback in this respect is highly appreciated.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Trainer,

In addition to Lakatos' answer, you may want to search the community for many other discussions on the topic. Check this one, from today:

Adwords clicks ALWAYS exceeds by a significant margin, the paid clicks recorded by Google Analytics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

If you think your data discrepancies are due to click fraud, I'd suggest a test where you run your ads on Google searches only.  Opt out of both the search and display networks to isolate that traffic.  That will also help you determine if this is a mobile issue.  Otherwise, you're testing too many variables at once.

Also, if you're not sure which is more accurate - your Analytics data or your AdWords data, audit your web server log files.  Every click is logged.  If you have auto-tagging enabled (probably do if you're using Analytics), you'll see gclid parameters in those logs.  Each click that you pay for has a unique code for each of those instances.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would be in that same boat. I'm watching for someone with the answer. I wonder how wide spread this is?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ryvr has a loss of almost 50% of his traffic. Explaining this with the difference between sessions and clicks would indicate that every user clicked his ad twice within 30 minutes :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Experiencing huge discrepancy between clicks and visits, I would not suggest to waste even more money in testing ads, but maybe to contact google support to examine the case.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’