AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why is keyword planner always so wrong?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Every time I have use the keyword planner to help me with my keywords and bidding amounts, the keyword planner has "Never" even been close. (And I mean never ever been close)

I realize this is suppose to just be an estimate, but let's face it, when the keyword planner give you an estimate of 20000 impressions and 1000 click a day(for your bid amount) for a group of keywords and you end up with "NO IMPRESSION" but all of your keywords have a quality score of 5/10 or better.

Something needs to change.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
September 2015

Re: Why is keyword planner always so wrong?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey David C

The keyword planner is a powerful tool if understood correctly. Start by learning about it all here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

A few things to note, that might help in your understanding. You will see a few things, for example, as you mentioned, daily estimates, as well as monthly estimates.

What you need to understand here is that the keyword planner basis its daily estimate on the broad match version of your keyword, and thus is eligible to show in many searches. Furthermore, unless you specify this broad match term does not have any negative terms associated with it.

So if you are advertising a key word not on broad match with negatives you will have drastically reduced numbers in comparison.

A more accurate estimate is the monthly search volume. this will give you an estimate of your keyword on exact match, but again without negatives unless specified.

There is a lot to be said about the keyword planner but at the end of the day it is a very powerful tool when used correctly and understood properly.

hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
September 2015

Re: Why is keyword planner always so wrong?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey David C

The keyword planner is a powerful tool if understood correctly. Start by learning about it all here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

A few things to note, that might help in your understanding. You will see a few things, for example, as you mentioned, daily estimates, as well as monthly estimates.

What you need to understand here is that the keyword planner basis its daily estimate on the broad match version of your keyword, and thus is eligible to show in many searches. Furthermore, unless you specify this broad match term does not have any negative terms associated with it.

So if you are advertising a key word not on broad match with negatives you will have drastically reduced numbers in comparison.

A more accurate estimate is the monthly search volume. this will give you an estimate of your keyword on exact match, but again without negatives unless specified.

There is a lot to be said about the keyword planner but at the end of the day it is a very powerful tool when used correctly and understood properly.

hope this helps