AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why is adwords serving an ad more times that has lower conversion?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 4.26.50 PM.png

These are results for the month.  Ad#1 is getting served 80% of the time but has lower Conversion Rate than Ad#2.  Both of them have similar CTR.  Does this mean that Adwords only serves ads with the best CTR rather than doing the best conversion?

Btw, this campaign is running conversion optimizer with traget CPA.

Thanks!

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is adwords serving an ad more times that has lower conversion?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi TwoDoor,

Have you checked to see what your Ad rotation is set to? If you go to settings and expand the "Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping" section then you should be able to see it there.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi TwoDoor,

What is your ad rotation setting. You will get the result shown above if you are using the default 'optimize for clicks' setting. This setting will show the ads expected to provide more clicks more than the other ads.

Deepak

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have it set to: Optimise for conversions: Show ads expected to provide more conversions

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
How long have these ads been running? I'm wondering whether the first ad has had a larger number of conversions in the past and therefore it's being prioritised over the second ad despite it having a lower conversion rate.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Good point, but doesn't seem to be the case. I checked them from the beginning of time and #1 has been historically lower conversion than #2.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Have the CTR's been similar throughout the time they have been running? Both CTR and conversion rate are used in the "Optimise for conversions" ad delivery settings (as shown here) so now I'm wondering whether the second ad had a period where the CTR was lower...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi TwoDoor,

I'm not sure I can answer your question. I normally set distribution to "even forever", or whatever the equivalent is in the UI.

Perhaps you should try to determine why the difference in performance and write a new add to address those issues.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks guys.

Scotty, following your link, with the optimize for conversions ad rotation option it says "...it takes both clickthrough rate (CTR) and conversion rate into consideration". Now seeing that my CTR is higher for the one with lower conversion, it answers some questions. However, I still find it illogical that it would give more weight to CTR rather than Conversion.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
That's what I was thinking as I read the CTR part of the statement. And I totally agree with what you say, at the end of the day if the setting is meant to optimise for conversions then why isn't it prioritising the conversion data over everything else?