AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why is Google Analytics Not Tracking Adwords Traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up the utm_campaign value on the destination URL in adwords, but when I check the report in Google Analytics, it is always showing a serial number instead of the campaign name if it is a Google adwords campaign.

For example:

CI_cjZyFscUCFUWVvQodBkUAUQ

Cj0KEQjw4LaqBRD60pfSn43ZwLQBEiQAJv5FLMCmOL3sx3RH1aqD0tgnQij0KWw7k7iEKfHovripEiIaAtRr8P8HAQ

For the other campaigns (not adwords campaign), it shows the right campaign name we set.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is Google Analytics Not Tracking Adwords Traffic?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Craig,

Not sure if it's possible in your situation but linking your GA and AdWords accounts (views) together along with enabling auto-tagging, from my experience, provides the most data collection in GA from AdWords.

Have you tried that method at all?

If not, can you elaborate on what's happening here? These strings you're using are a bit confusing to understand. Is that your actual campaign name? Like this:

domain.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CI_cjZyFscUCFUWVvQodBkUAUQ

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

we set up the URL like
domain.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=campaign1

When someone clicks the ad, Google automatically add CI_cjZyFscUCFUWVvQodBkUAUQ at the end of our URL. So Google analytic shows this string in the report.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Craig L

You seem to be using both Auto and Manual Tagging at the same time. I would not recommend this. In my practical experience I have seen Campaign variable getting replaced by GCLID in Google Analytics. Use either Auto or Manual, not both. 

Those large string that you see in your campaign name field is actually GCLID which is replacing your campaign name in GA.

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.