AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why doesn´t the campaign activity in Adwords not match the numbers in Google / CPC in Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why doesn´t the campaign activity in Adwords not match the numbers in Google / CPC in Analytics?

E.g. If the 3. oct. I had 137 clicks on my AdWords campaign according to the Adwords billing summery, but in Analytics it says that I´ve only had 61 clicks on Google / CPC traffic the same day. The two numbers should be the same right? Please help me, Im confused and Im sure there is an explanation! 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Why doesn´t the campaign activity in Adwords not match the numbers in Google / CPC in Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Meelissa,

This is only the tip of the iceberg of the differences between AdWords and Analytics. One significant difference is the time period. AdWords reports the date according to the time zone you set on the account. I believe Analytics is always PST (pacific Standard Time). Two clicks from the same person withing 30 minutes will result in 2 AdWords clicks and only Analytics 1 visit. Returning to the landing page after more than 30 minutes, with a bookmark from the ad, will result in one Analytics visit and no AdWords click.

In short, the numbers in AdWords and Analytics will virtually never agree and reconciling the differences is very difficult. The two systems are reporting very different data.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Re: Why doesn´t the campaign activity in Adwords not match the numbers in Google / CPC in Analytics?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

I think you are probably talking here about clicks in Google Adwords and visits in Google Analytics. Both are different and that's why you have discrepancies arising when you try to compare the same data.

Look at this simple scenario: When some clicks your ad and do not reach the website, there is no visit registered in Google Analytics, but there is a click recorded in Google Adwords. This is one of the major reason for data mismatch. For more reasons and clarifications, read this article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thankyou;O)

Okay so....a click on my ad in AdWords always results in a visit (in Analytics) unless there is a server problem and the user aren´t guided through to my website. I get that. But what I don´t understand is that some days there are more visits in Analytics (registered as Google / CPC) than there are clicks registered in Adwords. How is that?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Meelissa wrote:

Thankyou;O)

Okay so....a click on my ad in AdWords always results in a visit (in Analytics) unless there is a server problem and the user aren´t guided through to my website. I get that. But what I don´t understand is that some days there are more visits in Analytics (registered as Google / CPC) than there are clicks registered in Adwords. How is that?

It's because of the cookie behaviour. Adwords can track and allocate the click attribution within 30 days whereas Analytics cookie last longer i.e. 6 months. Hence Google Analytics will attribute the visit to the respective campaign keeping this 6 month window open whereas Adwords cannot do that for this much longer time. Hence due to this reason, you will see less clicks and more visits.

Hope that makes sense!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Meelissa,

This is only the tip of the iceberg of the differences between AdWords and Analytics. One significant difference is the time period. AdWords reports the date according to the time zone you set on the account. I believe Analytics is always PST (pacific Standard Time). Two clicks from the same person withing 30 minutes will result in 2 AdWords clicks and only Analytics 1 visit. Returning to the landing page after more than 30 minutes, with a bookmark from the ad, will result in one Analytics visit and no AdWords click.

In short, the numbers in AdWords and Analytics will virtually never agree and reconciling the differences is very difficult. The two systems are reporting very different data.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Why doesn�t the campaign activity in Adwords not match the numbers in Google / CPC in Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thankyou! That makes sense! Merry X-mas to you. Med venlig hilsen Meelissa Nygaard Thorsen Marketingassistent [Beskrivelse: Beskrivelse: F:\Shared\Markedsføring\visitkort og logo\signaturer\Signaturer 2012\signatur-goeenoprigtigforskel.gif]