AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why do I need to remove my checks for test devices in my production build?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

According to the AdMob documentation, I need to "Be sure to remove the code that sets these test device IDs before you release your app".  Why?

This makes it so that I cannot test an actual released build.  (I use my personal phone for development.)  This disallows me from doing every day testing with the actual build released to the public.  It would seem to me that there should be no difference to Google whether or not it checks for test devices in the released build.

The test device ID goes by the individual device, not the model of phone, right?  If I am mistaken there, I can understand it.  Otherwise, this restriction does not make sense to me.

Why can I not leave the test device IDs in my released build?

test_ads.PNG

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

I found this thread on StackOverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28988216/using-admob-for-testing-vs-live

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, but I am not sure of the credibility of what they are saying.  They say to do the opposite of the documentation.  I came to this site hoping for a more authoritative answer.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Sam K,

Pete provides credible info and to add to it... while testing you leave the test ID. While you use that, you will get test ads. When you "release it" it is no longer in test mode and you remove it. 

Also, this help community is for AdWords only, not AdMob. Please direct future inquiries to the AdMob help group

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, James.  I am moreso wondering why I remove the code.  I still want to see test ads on those devices.  I will follow up on this in the appropriate place.  Thank you for the link.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

You are very welcome. You can or cannot remove the test info... which is why it is confusing. As long as you are testing, you leave it, which makes it a beta test product (alpha is before live testing). The term in the AdMob documentation: "before you release your app" can be thought as meaning: when testing is completely over and you want to run everything normally (after alpha and beta testing and you are ready to move on to another project). 

As long as you have the test info added, you will only see test ads on your device... whereas if you remove it, you can see actual ads. Some people leave the test info to prevent themselves from clicking on actual ads and some people do not. Both ways works... depending on what you personally prefer. 

Kind Regards,

James