AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why do I have so many clicks for two super long tail search terms?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've searched this forum and the internet in general for help with this, but I can't find anything at all, so here goes.....

I've just been looking at a search terms report for one of my sites over the last 9 months or so. I use broad search with some of my keyphrases, so as you would expect, I've got a long list of terms recorded as having brought people to the site. If I order these by impressions or clicks, the first page is full of 2 to 4 word phrases which tie in closely with what the site and my ads are all about (a light removals service based in a local area of the UK). However, there are two anomalous results. Both are very long tail keyphrases, written in such a way that I suspect if you put a million people in front of a million computers for a million years and asked them to enter searches relevant to my site, you wouldn't get more than one or two entries like these. But the two phrases in question actually turn up frequently, both having produced impressions in the thousands, and double digit clicks.

I can only think that this is a result of either click fraud, with someone repeatedly cutting and pasting the phrase then clicking on the results, or it's to do with Google's automated suggestions, which seems unlikely because the phrases are just so long and weird!

I would post the phrases, but nobody ever seems to give specific examples on these forums, so I'm guessing they're not allowed? If that's not the case, please let me know and I'll happily add them so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do I have so many clicks for two super long tail search terms?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Dave,

I think you have selected broad match for the keyword right? In broad match option usually google use any phrase that seems to be related to the keyword you have used in the campaign. Most probably this phrase you mentioned should have some sort of connection to the keyword.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hey Dave,
There's a few things that could cause this. Bots, chancers using custom search and misconfigured crawlers running on search partners.

First of all, you need to add these as negative keywords. Use a list and apply it account wide.

Next, you need to check if Google counted these clicks and impressions as invalid. Run an invalid clicks report: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549113#viewinginvalidclick
See the "Viewing invalid click data" section.

I have a feeling Google will have nipped this in the bud at source. They usually do. If not, you need to report the invalid impressions and clicks to Google using this form: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/click_quality

It's rare that Google doesn't spot this before the advertiser but it can happen. Let us know how you get on.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
If you target search partners, your ad might be shown on category and product pages not only search. Those strange "search queries" you see maybe aren't search queries but breadcrumb navigation or similar. If those queries bring any conversions, you should add them as negatives in that ad group and target them separately in another ad group so you can control costs better.

Here's an excellent article on that topic:
http://www.ppc-epiphany.com/2012/04/02/targeting-search-partners/