AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why do I have "new visitors" for a strict remarketing targeting ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a remarketing camapaign with one ad group, with this option disabled "Targeting optimization : Let AdWords automatically find new customers" and yet analytics sees 11 "new visitors" from around 400 sessions.

The remarketing list is my only targeting option in that ad group.

Shouldn't remarketing targeting draw only "returning visitors" ?

See picture below : 

http://goo.gl/v8c0h4

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do I have "new visitors" for a strict remarketing ta

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

If you enable the "Targeting Optimization" in Remarketing campaign, It try to find new customers, who has the similar behavior of your Remarketing list.

Let's clarify your doubt in this way, Considering that, targeting optimization should shows your ads to the Returning users. But your campaign is already showing ads to the Past visitors of the site, so what is the advantage of using Targeting optimization. The concept of targeting optimization is useless here.

However, It can be also possible that your campaign shows the ads to older user, e.g you are targeting  “the audience list of last 15 days” in your Remarketing campaign,  it cannot be marginalized that Targeting optimization cannot show ads to the audiences who have visited your website between 30 to 60 days.

But make sure that Targeting optimization that triggers the old users (Between 30 days to 60 days), they don't work based on Cookies for this campaign. They show your ads because you have enable Targeting Optimization.

“Targeting Optimization” in Remarketing campaign is similar to GA Smart List and Similar Audiences (Only similarity  is that both tries to reach your ads to the new users) . For the campaigns point of view they are new, but they could or could not be past visitors of the your websites.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rakesh,

Thank you for answering.

I have mentioned that I did not activate "targeting optimisation" so there is no reason for new users to received the remarketing ads. These ads should only show to "returning visitors".

In your answer you are only asuming that I have enabled "targeting optimisation" from what I understand, which is not the case.

Can you think of any other reason why the remarketing list is serving ads to "new visitors" ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks Adrian for explaining the question again Smiley Happy

Can you think of any other reason why the remarketing list is serving ads to "new visitors" ?

Hope you have gone through the concept of -Data discrepancy between AdWords and Analytics Data.

Capture.PNG

As some users have added some Google analytics blocker add on browsers that prevent google analytics to store the users’ information. But AdWords counts and store users info into Audience list.

So now, you are running the Remarketing campaigns, so it is the chances that now those new visitors are removed the Google analytics blocker from the browsers. That's why Google analytics is showing their information as new visitors.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't get it.

Remarketing is based on a google analytics list so since google analytics is used to serve the ads and also to read the visit data , why is the analytics audience not seeing a member from it as a returning visitor?

I cannot interpret this as a discrepancy between tools since google analytics is used for both operations : serving the ads and reading the visit as "returning".

At the time the user received the remarketing ad and clicked he belonged to the analytics remarketing audience so analytics should recognize the click as a "returning visitor" , or am I missing something ?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hey Adrian,

You have not mentioned that you are using Google Analytics Remarketing list. I have tried to answer, considering you are using Adwords remarketing list.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes if adwords remarketing would be used , your explanation is very good. There has to be a discrepancy if the audience is made with another tool.