AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why basic demographic info are unknown on Display Ads report?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi People,

I've been running Adwords for both search ads and display ads and know display ads has demographics report, basically by gender and age range. The report offer you insights so you may have idea what's your best audience and how can you optimise it over time with the demographics targeting as well.

I'm not sure how Google tell demographic info but in my cases, I found most of the audience of my campaign are unknown. The business we do is staffing and recruiting, so the people who interested in our ads are looking for a job. Over 90% user clicks are unknown for both genders and age, which doesn't help at all. I would like to know why this happens? Is it a technically issue that can be solved by my campaign setting, or is it just as common as everyone else?

FYI I'm located in China and have VPN managing my account.

Cheers!Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
September 2015

Re: Why basic demographic info are unknown on Display Ads report?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jason,

Google doesn't know demographics of all the users and also most websites don't have demographic info of their customers. In addition to this, not all websites opt in to show demographics of their customers. Hence, you might see traffic coming from "unknown" demographics. If you don't want to show them your ad then you can exclude that category from your campaign and target other demographics for better understanding of your perfromance. But as you said your major chunk of traffic is coming from the unknown category, i wouldn't recommend that.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Rohit Khanna

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jason,

Google doesn't know demographics of all the users and also most websites don't have demographic info of their customers. In addition to this, not all websites opt in to show demographics of their customers. Hence, you might see traffic coming from "unknown" demographics. If you don't want to show them your ad then you can exclude that category from your campaign and target other demographics for better understanding of your perfromance. But as you said your major chunk of traffic is coming from the unknown category, i wouldn't recommend that.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the answers! It's my first topic on the forum and so impressed with the instant reply. What a community!

Yes I probably will just keep the ad strategy as before then.

Cheers,
Jason

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Jason. You can always ask me anything by marking me @RohitKhanna

Regards
Rohit Khanna