AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Why We got traffic from all over the globe with a webmaster geo setting to the USA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not that anyone likes to complain about more traffic (that’s a plus for any site) but recently we’ve noticed a high amount of traffic from all over the globe with a webmaster geo setting to the USA on my website: www.aumcore.com

While we do have offices around the globe (in Malaysia, UK and the US), the site is specifically targeted to our US audience in not only the webmaster geo setting but also through strategically written content, UX and UI designed for a US audience.

So why the traffic from different countries? We’re interested to learn if you’ve had a similar experience, and if you’ve discovered why this may be a possibility even when all directions point to Rome (or in this case the US). Is there an outside factor that may be affecting this traffic pattern anomaly or is it simply sporadic? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
October 2016

Why We got traffic from all over the globe with a webmaster geo setting to the USA?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kristina A,

All of those features used to target your website audiences are not what is used to target (or restrict) targeting for AdWords. 

AdWords - Target ads to GEO Locations.

AdWords - Exclude ads to GEO Locations.

I hope this is helpful and you are right about wanting targeted actions with your AdWords campaigns. 

As for Webmasters (now called Search Console), when you set your preferred audience, it simply means preferred. Anyone can still search and locate your website.

Set a country target

1. On the International Targeting report, click the Country tab.
  2. Check the Geographic target checkbox and choose your country target. If you want to ensure that your site is not associated with any country or region, select Unlisted in the drop-down list.

This setting is only for geographic data. If you're targeting users in different locations—for example, if you have a site in French that you want users in France, Canada, and Mali to read—don't use this tool to set France as a geographic target. A good example of where it would be useful is for a restaurant website: if the restaurant is in Canada, it's probably not of interest to folks in France. But if your content is in French and is of interest to people in multiple countries/regions, it's probably better not to restrict it.

How do we determine location without Search Console?

If no information is entered in Search Console, Google relies largely on the site's country domain (such as .ca, .de). If you use an international domain (.com, .org, .eu), we'll rely on several signals, including IP address, location information on the page, links to the page, and any relevant information from Google My Business. If you change hosting provider for a country domain, there should be no impact. If you change the hosting provider of an international domain to a provider in another country, we recommend using Search Console to tell us which country your site should be associated with.

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Why We got traffic from all over the globe with a webmaster geo setting to the USA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

I got your point, it is only presence to set preferred location. Yes, you are right. In Ad words, we keep a setting to show website for specific location.

Thank you. Any technical things behind this cause.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Kristina A,

You are very welcome. 

About the only way to stop traffic completely is via server actions, IP blocking and more severe stuff like that. The settings and features you are using will greatly help but not absolutely stop or prevent.

If your general traffic from foreign countries is under 5% of your traffic... you are doing really well and have taken great steps to zero in on your audience. Some are gonna show up.

If you want to dig into any of this, you should use the Google Webmasters Forum, since it seems you have AdWords under control. 

Personally, I think you are doing great with what you have done. 

Kind Regards,

James