AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Which conversions came from AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have analyitcs and adwords linked up. 

I know that I get, for example, 15 conversions a day 5 of which come  from Google Adwords, but I can not tell which specific form submissions are the google adwords submissions.  Is there a way to do that? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Which conversions came from AdWords?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Philip M,

There are many ways you can look at this, but the easiest is probably to use an Advanced Segment. 

Navigate to the ECommerce report in your Analytics, and then at the top of the page click "+ Add Segment" and add in the Paid Search Traffic Segment. This way you can compare "All Traffic" ECommerce results to "Paid Search Traffic" ECommerce results.

You can read all about Advanced Segments and how to build your own here.

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Philip M,

There are many ways you can look at this, but the easiest is probably to use an Advanced Segment. 

Navigate to the ECommerce report in your Analytics, and then at the top of the page click "+ Add Segment" and add in the Paid Search Traffic Segment. This way you can compare "All Traffic" ECommerce results to "Paid Search Traffic" ECommerce results.

You can read all about Advanced Segments and how to build your own here.

Kathleen

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I wanted to know this too so I subscribed to see the answer.

The advanced segments will only show how many conversions occured from the paid source (Adwords) , but I think Philip M wants to know exactly what form came from adwords.

For example when there are 10 form completions and we know that 3 are from adwords by tracking the thank you page, we may want to know exactly who are the 3 people who ordered after clicking on an AdWords Ad.

Their names are in the forms , but it is difficult to link the form contents to the paid source.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If all the forms go to the same thank you page then you are not going to be able to differentiate between one form and another - if this is what we are trying to do.

with Google Tag Manager we can set up a Submit Form Listener, and we can then create different events for each form submission. Converting these into goals in Analytics and then importing them back into Adwords as conversions we will be able to segment by form name....

Tracking which forms were completed, and relating this back to AdWords is different from knowing which ads triggered form completions - tagging each form differently we can segment by form and then by source....

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi All,

Steve has a great solution to this. Another work around is to create Goals with Funnels for each specific form (assuming each form has a different URL).

What you would do, is set up a Goal with the thank you page as the destination URL, but specificy a required step with the form URL. This would mean that the goal would not count as completed unless the customer went through that exact path.

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 13.52.34.png

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Reply to Adrian,
"For example when there are 10 form completions and we know that 3 are from adwords by tracking the thank you page, we may want to know exactly who are the 3 people who ordered after clicking on an AdWords Ad.
Their names are in the forms , but it is difficult to link the form contents to the paid source."

Would this Work? Adding UTM analtyics tracking codes to the Landing Page URL's?

To track a and individual submission Form output directly back to the source, requires two things. One that the forum submission output shows the URL source. Many forms do this.

Two - use the Analtyics tracking code URL builder to create the unique identifying criteria.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Edit your current landing page URL in your ads, add the ?utm code you generate.

The actual submission FORM should now display the Source code with your Added UTM tracking codes.
Ie: you identifying the source URL as utm_medium=cpc

With this you could Identify Manually that Mr Jone's Form came from Adwords, then manually cross reference If Mr Jones purchased on not. ( not the best fully automated approach)

You could test this method yourself, by generating the URL code, copy it into your browser, and then fill in the submission form. If the form then shows your Source URL, you will see the variables you created ie: in the URL string.

Note: Cons of this method, would be the variables you add and the normal Google/ CPC tracking would be overridden into your NEW tracking display criteria. Not a bad thing, just something to be aware if you use it to follow the form.

I would test it without changing adwords to see what works best for your individual tracking.

Hope that helps
Eric G

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Now I'm just thinking aloud..... but the new offline tracking option allows us to track the gclid... we might possibly use a hidden field in the form to add this to the submission and then tag backwards from a later sale.

Would that work?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you to All, you have given me some great ideas to think about.