AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Which Attribution stat do I believe?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking at ecommerce conversion stats using Analytics and Adwords. My analytics data is imported into Adwords. I see very big differences in reporting depending on where I look:

- in the campaign view in Adwords I see one number (presumably it uses the first click attribution model)

- in Adwords -> Search Funnels -> Attribution Modelling I can choose First Click or Last Click and I see different numbers

- in Analytics -> Conversions -> Model Comparison (setting loopback to 30 days and only ecommerce conversions) I can choose First Interaction or Last Interaction (different to the Adwords First Click and Last Click) or Last Non Direct Click and I see more different numbers.

Who do you believe??

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Which Attribution stat do I believe?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello.

All models are right Smiley Happy.

The campaign view shows you the last adwords click. Which means that if someone clicks on one of your ads and then converts in the conversion window (variable duration chosen by you, going up to 90 days), that's the click that gets the credit for it, even if after this click there was a direct, organic or a referral click. AdWords assigns the conversion to the last ad click.

In Search Funnels you can change between first and last click, depending on where you want to assign the credit. Many conversions happen after multiple ad clicks, so if you prefer to credit the "discovery click", you can do that as well.

Analytics' Model Comparison takes all channels into account, not just AdWords, and allows you to compare between models. Again, since conversions happen after multiple clicks, it's up to you to pick a model that suits your business model and conversion cycle.

The last two are there to show you that there's "life" beyond the last click. That the consumer journey to conversion is a pretty convoluted one and that before you decide to scale (up or down) your efforts you should take all touch points into account.

One quick idea is this: even if AdWords (campaigns, ad groups, keywords, etc.) do not appear to convert as the last click (and price comparison websites for instance steal many of these last click conversions) that doesn't mean AdWords campaigns are useless, because they may bring potential future customers to your website.

Hope it helps and that the issues I managed to clear outnumber the new ones I might have created Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.