AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Where to find ValueTrack parameters in Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community,

I've read a bit about ValueTracking and there is plenty of information about how to set it up and which paramaters are available etc.

However, I can't find any information about how and where the data appears in Google Analytics (or other 3rd party tracking tools).

I see an example on this page:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6031980

It gives the following example for what you can use in the tracking template field:

{lpurl}?matchtype={matchtype}&device={device}

As I understand, in this case, matchtype will return e, p, or b in the URL and device will return c, m, or t.

So, I have two questions about this:

1. How is this any different from auto-tagging, where matchtype and device is readily available in for instance secondary dimensions?

2. If it provides me with more information than auto-tagging does, then where can I find this in the Analytics reports, and which benefits does it give that auto-tagging does not?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Where to find ValueTrack parameters in Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Thomas P,

The manual tagging is really for web analytics programs other than GA that may have different requirements for tracking paid traffic and are unable to interpret the gclid. For matchtype and device, it doesn't add any functionality and won't show up in GA reports except for the URL itself as page views. It won't help you attribute traffic. If you use the utm_* parameter names for certain values, it could cause double reporting in the GA interface.

If you are using only GA, and no other web analytics programs, manual tagging is not needed. Google recommends against mixing auto and manual tagging. If you choose to do so, do it very carefully.

Best of Luck1

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Where to find ValueTrack parameters in Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete,

That makes sense.

I just have a client that is almost insisting to not use auto-tagging, because they have their own tracking system and they want to use utm_* paramaters. Not sure if they can read GCLID values. Do you have any experience with the auto-tagging override function in GA?

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAnalytics/posts/XNVmJurNBeJ
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en#special-cases

From what I gather from comments, there can easily be data discrepencies. I can see that you should not change utm_source=google and utm_medium=cpc, but do you know if it is ok to override term, campaign, and content?

Cheers,
Thomas

Where to find ValueTrack parameters in Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Thomas,

No, I haven't looked at that yet. Does your client want to use utm_* names for the values, or something else? If not, no problem.

I have found that using auto-tagging and Analytics gives much more detailed data in Analytics reports. Using utm_* parameters exclusively, not all dimensions are available in Analytics.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Does your client also use Google Analytics? If not, also no problem.

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords