AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What workflow do you use for Filtering placements by conversion ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Would you say that there is a minimum number of clicks after which you take the decision to exclude a placement from an ad group , because it has an undesired effect, such as too expensive conversions or no conversions at all ?

Is there a standard recommended decision workflow for working with placements ? Such as an IF-Else graphic ?

For example would you leave a placement to accumulate 1000 clicks before deciding if its performance (conversion cost) is not good and you have to exclude it ? Or do you use more a time-frame instead of click volume for this decision ?

Currently I take decisions more in a "fireman style" and I want to work in a more organized way Smiley Happy

Thank you

Re: What workflow do you use for Filtering placements by conversion ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

Good question. It depends on the client and their goals but typically when placements hit a certain spend level with no conversions, I pause them. I typically look at last 30 days and All Time before pausing anything, in case it has worked well in the past.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Amy. Would you agree that decisions to exclude placements must be taken at the ad group level, because the same placement can convert in an ad group and not convert in another ad group, depending on ads , landing pages?

Is this the correct workflow ?

First check for 30 days :

1) IF condition= placement spend > a fixed spend level up for clicks (let's call it "Placement-Click-spend") 

1.1) IF False , then set no label, we have to wait some more time to accumulate spend.

1.2) IF True , then check condition = if the metric "converted clicks=0"

1.2.1)  IF True, then placement has reached the click spend level, but has no converted clicks, Action = set label "No-Conv-30D" 

1.2.2) IF False (placement has reached the click spend level and has converted clicks) , Then check a new metric , check IF  "Cost/converted click" > fixed value

1.2.2.1) If True , then the placement has converted clicks but they are expensive, Action : set label "Expensive-Conv-30D"

1.2.2.2)  If False, the placement has good cost for converted clicks, do nothing.

Second check for "last 360 days" :

2) IF condition= placement spend > a fixed spend level up for clicks (let's call it "Placement-Click-spend") 

2.1) IF False , then set label "Too-Few-Clicks-360D"

2.2) IF True , then check condition = if the metric "converted clicks=0"

2.2.1)  IF True, then placement has reached the click spend level, but has no converted clicks, Action = place label "No-Conv-360D" 

2.2.2) IF False (placement has reached the click spend level and has converted clicks) , Then check a new metric , check IF  "Cost/converted click" > fixed value

2.2.2.1) If True , then the placement has converted clicks but they are expensive, Action : set label "Expensive-Conv-360D"

2.2.2.2)  If False, the placement has good cost for converted clicks, do nothing.

Then we can take decisions based on combinations of 4 labels.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I definitely agree that exclusions should be made at the ad group level! The logic in your post looks solid - I think that sums it up!

Best,
Amy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, having a confirmation makes me feel better.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to chat about it! Thanks for bringing it up!