AdWords
6.6K members online now
6.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What's the difference btwn 2 issues that prevent my ads fr. showing?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I've been examining my old keywords recently found some of the keywords are not triggering my ads..but it have two different type - when your mouse (cursor) over to speech bubble adjacent to your keywords and it will show you:

1) Your ads are not showing due to low ad rank (This one I got it..I need to improve QS or raise bidding to make it eligible)

Capture.PNG

2) Your ads are currently not being triggered.

Capture.PNG

So I'm not sure what's the difference between those two. What does AdWords imply by the second one? All the keywords were created one year ago, so what's the setback?

Thanks,

Jason

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
October 2015

Re: What's the difference btwn 2 issues that prevent my ads fr. showin

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Okay, then contemplate two more parts of the entire ad serving picture:

1)  If you are using Broad, Modified Broad, or Phrase match keyword phrases, your keyword phrases can potentially be matched to a variety--even a very wide variety--of search queries.

For some of these search queries, the AdWords system may decide that your ad is a good match and your ad might earn a relatively high placement.

For others of the search queries, the AdWords system may decide that your ad is a poor, or very poor match, or that the expected click-through rate of your ad will be much lower than the CTRs for competitor's ads. In this situation, your ad may not be winning any of the ad auctions. 

So, you're getting an "average" ad placement of 1.3 when your ad does win the ad auction and appear, but you may be losing a lot of good clicks for searches where your ad can't win the auction because it's rank it too low.

2)  In addition, factors like time of the day and day of the week can be very important. If, for example, your competitors' ads aren't active in the evenings and on the weekends, then an ad with a much lower rank (yours) might win high placement during these "off-peak" hours--with fewer competitor ads in the auction, you won't need as high an ad rank to win placement. So, your ad could be placing high when it wins the auctions, but it may only be winning auctions for less-desirable traffic.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The reason none of the help files give you a step-by-step process for "improve ad rank" is because it's not really feasible to write such a document. There are just too many factors involved. (Campaign geo-targeting is another huge factor.)  

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

The ad messaging in the second example suggests that this keyword phrase is not used (by the AdWords database) to serve ads. Possibly there isn't enough traffic available?

Have you tried clicking on the "what can I do" message that appears just after the message that the keyword is not currently triggering ads?

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Theresa_Zook

I guess Google use this message to indicate the keyword that has very low traffic:

22.PNG

While if you click on "what can I do", both of them go to this page that saying I can improve ad rank. According to the theory, Ad rank determine my ad psotion by these two factors Max CPC & QS:

adwords-ad-position.gif

The problem is, my average ad positon is not bad (1.3) , like this case below. So why would it tell me I need to improve my Ad Rank even if I'm nearly at the top ad postion???

3334.PNG

I knew this is a obnoxious old question but this is the biggest challenge I have in my account to let my keywords really work. Thanks so much!

Jason

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Good morning.

Ad Rank is about more than bidding. Quality score is big factor--how relevant the keyword.

In this case, the diagnostic seems very clear. The first keyword is not often searched says that this keyword is not currently part of the advertising database. If you think search volume may increase, you can leave this keyword active in your campaign. If the keyword is added to the advertising database in the future, you may get traffic for it.

For the second diagnostic, it says that the click-through rate is expected to be below average. Expected click-through rate is directly related to the text of the ad or ads in the Ad Group. Try testing different ad messaging--you can even move this keyword to a separate Ad Group and write specific ads for it if the current ads are performing well for the other keywords in that Ad Group.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Theresa_Zook

Good morning!

Sorry I can't take this answer as a solution for the question.

In the case above, I'm aware of the fact that my click-through rate is not ideal, obviously. But the ad position I have(1.3) indicates my Ad Rank is not bad, according to the theory (Ad Rank = Max CPC & QS). I've attached the table above as well.

I have no idea why there is no single comment for that. People keep telling me I can improve QS but no one talks about the bigger picture of the principle.

Best,

Jason

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
October 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Okay, then contemplate two more parts of the entire ad serving picture:

1)  If you are using Broad, Modified Broad, or Phrase match keyword phrases, your keyword phrases can potentially be matched to a variety--even a very wide variety--of search queries.

For some of these search queries, the AdWords system may decide that your ad is a good match and your ad might earn a relatively high placement.

For others of the search queries, the AdWords system may decide that your ad is a poor, or very poor match, or that the expected click-through rate of your ad will be much lower than the CTRs for competitor's ads. In this situation, your ad may not be winning any of the ad auctions. 

So, you're getting an "average" ad placement of 1.3 when your ad does win the ad auction and appear, but you may be losing a lot of good clicks for searches where your ad can't win the auction because it's rank it too low.

2)  In addition, factors like time of the day and day of the week can be very important. If, for example, your competitors' ads aren't active in the evenings and on the weekends, then an ad with a much lower rank (yours) might win high placement during these "off-peak" hours--with fewer competitor ads in the auction, you won't need as high an ad rank to win placement. So, your ad could be placing high when it wins the auctions, but it may only be winning auctions for less-desirable traffic.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The reason none of the help files give you a step-by-step process for "improve ad rank" is because it's not really feasible to write such a document. There are just too many factors involved. (Campaign geo-targeting is another huge factor.)  

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Theresa_Zook,

I appreciate the explanations - that's more comprehensive.

But it also clarifies a fact that no one ever knows the Ad Rank "score" of themselves, given the Ad Position number is misleading. The formula is kind of conditional: Google try to push you to bid more and improved QS but you never know the winning edge until the message bubble indicates your ads are showing.. That's pretty much like running in the dark Smiley Indifferent

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

I think something is missing here that is your Ad Rank takes into account one more important factor “the expected impact from your ad extensions and formats.”
As I can see that the only thing in the bubble message which is red(below average) is Expected Click through rate.
So if you will use at least one(I suggest 2-3) of the ad extensions, your CTR will be boosted and hence will contribute for the improved ad rank.
One important thing is this (1.3) is the average position not exactly at that instant when a single real time auction happened. In this case, user location also matters as 1.3 is not the fixed position for every time your ad is triggered. Might be you are targeting whole china, but at the location where you are searching could have more local advertisers(more competition) due to which your ad position slipped to 5th-6th position but ultimately at different location your ad occupies different positions but the average is 1.3.

So now the thing is boost your CTR which can be effectively done by using ad extensions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Good morning.

Ad Rank, like a lot of other metrics and statistics, is simply an overview. It's more-or-less expected that advertisers will dig deeper into the specific data they're interested in, and consider all of the contributing factors.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*