AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What object is used to increment a View-Through-Conversion ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

From what I have learned so far from the forum , the AdWords conversion script is fired on a page for every visit organic or paid but it is used in two ways to track two types of conversion metrics :

1) For the normal conversions (1-per-click) and (many-per-click) the AdWords conversion code increments the conversion count only when a paid visit occurs because it finds the click cookie and it reads the glid value, is this correct ?

2) For the "view-through-conversions" the same AdWords conversion script increments "view-through-conversions" even if the visit is not from a paid click, and there is no Gclid found in a click cookie, it can be any random organic visitor who never clicked on any ad. Is this correct ?

For the fun of things at point 2 let's assume that the AdWords account only generated impressions so far through a CPM bidding campaign ( yes I know that CPM bidding can also generate clicks). So for simplification I have 10.000 Ad impressions , no paid clicks yet 15 organic visits to the conversion page preceded each by a paid Ad impression. The view-through conversion count should be 15 yet the conversion 1 per click should be zero , right ?

------------------------------

If so 

a) What object is used to increment a view-through-conversion if it is not a cookie ? What gets stored in the browser to remember an impression ?

b) Why is the same AdWords conversion code behaving in two ways, once it counts paid visits and some other time it can count organic visits ?

How are we supposed to interpret words like "every visit" at a certain point in the RLSA documentation when this dual counting of visits ( sometimes paid, sometimes organic) can occur ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: What object is used to increment a View-Through-Conversion ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

About the only mechanism to do this is with a cookie. That cookie could carry the data itself, or it could point to a db record with the necessary data. I would think this is done by 2 different cookies, one that identifies a click and a different cookie that identifies a view of your ad.

That means a 3rd party cookie is being set by Google for each ad shown. When the conversion code is requested, the proper cookie is sent to Google. They read the cookie and attribute the conversion as either click or view generated.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

About the only mechanism to do this is with a cookie. That cookie could carry the data itself, or it could point to a db record with the necessary data. I would think this is done by 2 different cookies, one that identifies a click and a different cookie that identifies a view of your ad.

That means a 3rd party cookie is being set by Google for each ad shown. When the conversion code is requested, the proper cookie is sent to Google. They read the cookie and attribute the conversion as either click or view generated.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWiser wrote earlier today here : link , that it somehow google remembers all the IDs of the Ads viewed in the GDN . However I think this is a huge amount of data, it should be stored not in the local browser.

Also can you confirm that a view-through-conversion can be incremented even if there is no prior click on any ad from that browser / user ?

I wonder how attribution is done, could it be only through the Ad ID ? I have activated this column in my account and I see that even if I copy an Ad it receives a new ID.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adrian,

Here are my thoughts,
View through conversion metric is when Google's systems find that "May Be" a user saw your ad, did not click on it at that very moment, recalled the product/brand/offering later on , went directly to the landing page, and converted.
At the end of the day its an "approximation", and "estimate", ...a "helpfull number" to give guidance to the marketer, to substantiate the fact that "Look Dear marketeer, the user did not click on a paid ad and converted, buy may be, he saw the ad and converted".
This number ("view through conversions") can be gainfully wrong at times.
In a world with multiple digital touch points, and in a world where it is getting very difficult to attribute the credit of a sale to a particular channel, I think Google is trying its best to help the marketer understand "Indeed his marketing efforts are working".

Also below are my comments in red

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AdWiser wrote earlier today here : link , that it somehow google remembers all the IDs of the Ads viewed in the GDN . However I think this is a huge amount of data, it should be stored not in the local browser.

of course you are right, Google would not even dare to store huge amounts of data on local computer of a user."  Infact a cookie itself is not more than a few KB. 

Also can you confirm that a view-through-conversion can be incremented even if there is no prior click on any ad from that browser / user ?

i strongly believe that  view-through-conversion can be incremented even if there is no prior click on any ad from that browser / user . 

I wonder how attribution is done, could it be only through the Ad ID ? I have activated this column in my account and I see that even if I copy an Ad it receives a new ID.

Attribution itself is a very complex, unresolved, challenging area with a lots of opportunity. Google is trying to connect various dots to enable advertisers make better decisions as evident in its recent efforts to import offline conversion into Adwords. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Regards
Ellaiah.