AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What makes a QS of 8 or 9 and why are these so rare ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I have rarely seen QS of 5 or 6 and never seen QS of 8 or 9 .

How many keywords do you have with those numbers for the QS vs. all the keywords in the account ?

The best example I have while participating in a debate here in the forum is this user with 9 kw of QS 8 out of .... 1.5 milion keywords (as he claims ) :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Accelerated-Budget-Is-it-truly-unrestricted/...

If these scores are so rare, why are they so rare and in what situations does the system award such QS scores like 8 or 9 ? Maybe only a handful of conditions must be met to raise a QS from 7 to 8 or 9 and I would like to know what they are in order to improve the cost of my keywords.

Most of my keywords are QS 4 or 7 or 10, they jump from 3 to 3 but I only have seen under 1000 kw in an account.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: What makes a QS of 8 or 9 and why are these so rare ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, as I said in my last post, for me they're not rare, so I'd be suspecting your own Account.

One of my clients has only 161 Keywords in their entire Account yet on the first page of 50 I can see right now at least a handful of 8s and some 9s and a couple of 7s.  Most are, of course, 10s.

Although CTR is a very important factor in QS, there's no absolute scale.  For example, looking at this list of Keywords in front of me I can see a 9/10 with a CTR of 1.97% and a 7/10 with a CTR of 5.08%

Quality Score is, unfortunately, still one of the great AdWords mysteries.  Although I can say without boasting that most of my Keywords tend to be 10/10 I still have enough that aren't to prove that there's no simple answer to this problem.  I have one in one of my biggest clients that is a 6/10 and no matter what I do I can't make it higher.

It's worth repeating what has been said elsewhere, that not all Keywords can get 10/10.  For some 6 or 7 might be the best any Account can achieve because of the nature of the Keyword.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, I've certainly seen every number apart from 1, and right now have client Accounts with 9s and a handful of 8s, so it's perhaps not as rare as you may think.

I know that the Quality Score calculation is very complex and to be honest I'm not that surprised that there are "common" figures and "rare" ones.  I'm not saying this is the case, but it's easy to imagine that the "rare" scores might require an unlikely combination of factors like, for example, a high CTR but a poor Ad Relevancy or great Ad Relevancy and poor relevancy within the Group.

As I said though, it might simply be that your own figures or those of the people you've asked are giving you a biased view to some extent.  You've said you've never seen an 8 or 9 and I can positively say I have seen these scores.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for answering.

Yes It is good to see that other large accounts have some of these misterious QSs ,  but how many of them are if you list all your keywords in the keywords tab, can you count them with the fingers of your hands or are they by the dozens ? What is their percentage of appearance , is it less than 1 per 10.000 keywords ?

Wouldn't it be nice to know exactly which factor to tweak to move from a 7 to a 8 or a 9 instead of doing all the tweaks and expecting a 10/10 and never receiving it even if the CTR increases ?

A normal gradation system would allow somebody to be evaluated also in the middle between average or excelent as the teacher, I am just wondering if the CTR is the main factor of the QS why isn't the QS slowly increasing from a 7 to a 10, because my CTR never jumped from 5% to 20% .

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, as I said in my last post, for me they're not rare, so I'd be suspecting your own Account.

One of my clients has only 161 Keywords in their entire Account yet on the first page of 50 I can see right now at least a handful of 8s and some 9s and a couple of 7s.  Most are, of course, 10s.

Although CTR is a very important factor in QS, there's no absolute scale.  For example, looking at this list of Keywords in front of me I can see a 9/10 with a CTR of 1.97% and a 7/10 with a CTR of 5.08%

Quality Score is, unfortunately, still one of the great AdWords mysteries.  Although I can say without boasting that most of my Keywords tend to be 10/10 I still have enough that aren't to prove that there's no simple answer to this problem.  I have one in one of my biggest clients that is a 6/10 and no matter what I do I can't make it higher.

It's worth repeating what has been said elsewhere, that not all Keywords can get 10/10.  For some 6 or 7 might be the best any Account can achieve because of the nature of the Keyword.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see , so it can be account specific, that might be the answer.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

On the other hand at this game of "Find the QS of 8 if you can" , we have 3 to 1 Smiley Happy :

1) My account

2) The account of this TC :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/How-AdWords-selects-keywords-and-positions...

3) The account of the user that I quoted in the begining of the thread ( 9 kw of QS=8 , out of 1.5 milion )

--------------

1) Your account which seems to have a lot of 8 or 9

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

I took a quick look at one of my campaigns. I did not count them all, but I see a number of 10/10, no 9/10 and one 8/10. I have a number of 4-7/10, and two 3/10.

I think Jon is right, though, it is account specific. I only handle one account, Jon has lots of them.

I think too many people get caught up in the QS chase. What's really important is are you getting conversions at a rate that is profitable for your business? If you are, that's not a reason to leave your account alone or not to seek to improve the account. I am suggesting you take the QS "with a grain of salt". It's not the end of the story. It's all about CTR and conversion.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Jon has one of the best overall perspectives of how things work in this trade. I am just asking for a google official disclaimer page to reffer to clients where they say can that sometimes you cannot tweak a 7 to a 10 in order to decrease the CPC for the top of page estimate . Sometimes just trying to do every improvement results in no higher QS. Educating the client ( in my case only some friends) takes a lot of time and they are not happy with "relative" answers that include a lot of maybe's. They expect a software to have straight rules.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone tell me what is the minimum QS required to be listed in Google search?

@Adrian B wrote:

Hello All,

I have rarely seen QS of 5 or 6 and never seen QS of 8 or 9 .

How many keywords do you have with those numbers for the QS vs. all the keywords in the account ?

The best example I have while participating in a debate here in the forum is this user with 9 kw of QS 8 out of .... 1.5 milion keywords (as he claims ) :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Accelerated-Budget-Is-it-truly-unrestricted/...

If these scores are so rare, why are they so rare and in what situations does the system award such QS scores like 8 or 9 ? Maybe only a handful of conditions must be met to raise a QS from 7 to 8 or 9 and I would like to know what they are in order to improve the cost of my keywords.

Most of my keywords are QS 4 or 7 or 10, they jump from 3 to 3 but I only have seen under 1000 kw in an account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i dont believe there is a minimum QS you need for your ads to be active however the lower your score the less likely youll be appearing on the first page and more likely youll be pushed out by other advertisers who are bidding higher (since a low QS will mean your bid price will be that much higher).