AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What is your experience with the mail.google.com placement ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All !

I have added this placement in a Display campaign and it seems to provide a lot of impressions and a very high conversion rate .

experience-with-gmail-placement.png

1) Is google randomly displaying ads in the email with no keyword or interest matching ? Can it use any targeting since the email is private content ?

I am wondering why don't I receive more clicks because the CTR is so low, even if I have frequency capping turned on, this placement receives the most impressions from the whole selection of over 150 other placements.

In this case of the lowest CTR that I have ever seen , I must wonder , how is the matching done since I use keywords but I don't see how google could match keywords to emails since they are private content, not public like websites .

2) Has anyone been able to have a higher CTR for this placement ? I have been testing it for 2 weeks.

3) What will happen if I move this placement in a CPM campaign, will I have zero clicks ? How many clicks do CPM campaigns receive ?

Re: What is your experience with the mail.google.com placement ?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
There is keyword matching going on. It reacts on mail content. I can see this in my own gmail accounts. But is not always clear. Maybe with different themes in mails google does´n know what the theme is.
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Halo Adrian,

Same as me, when i put GMail as a placement on GDN it has generate lower CTR than other placement. I guess the low CTR happened because we using text ads only on GMail.

Answering your 1st question, We can targeting contextually campaign on GMail. Put your relevant keyword and then GMail will considers your ad contextually targeted.
For more information about the ads on GMail, you can read on this link: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6603?hl=en

My suggestion to increase the CTR on GMail are:
1. Try to create stand alone campaign for GMail placement only, so you can focus to control budget, bid, targeting separately with other placement
2. Using Contextual targeting, so your targeted keywords might already match your ads to Gmail emails
3. Increase your maximum bid higher than your default bid to win the auction. You will also get more impressions and clicks opprotunity when you won the auction.
4. Because our concern is to increase the CTR number, set your bid strategy with CPC bidding to keep the balance between impressions and clicks performance

Thank you,
@ryanbatchin

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The interesting thing is that this placement had 0 impressions for a few days until I decided to add keywords, to this ad group. It is like the impressions were triggered only by the keywords. 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adrian,

My gmail mailbox today :

kruidvat-maul.png

1 = subscription mail from "Kruidvat" shop. 

2 = Ad from Kruidvat

3 = Explanation, says something like : this ad is based on email in your mailbox.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.