AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What is the exact process for the AdWords conversion tag?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

So here's the thing.... I have client with a really complex website - all kinds of dynamic pages and a massive issue with tracking.

There are a bunch of redirects that seem to be built into the pages which are stripping out the tracking so all visitors who are getting to the sign up confirmation page are being attributed to either direct (a few) or internal referral sources.....

We are still running some ads (we've pulled back because we can't track - but the client doesn't want to stop altogether). When the site was simpler the AdWords traffic was converting at close to 20% - so we figure that the number should be somewhere around there.

so as a kind of secondary test, rather than using the GA goal we added AdWords conversion code snippet to the confirmation page. I've tested this using Google Tag Assistant and the code is on the page - all green and smiling....

But we are still (after a couple of thousand Adwords visitors) not seeing a single conversion.

I'm not clear as to exactly how the AdWords conversion works - I know we can put the code on a third party site, for example and it should fire... but this - as I understand it - is cookie based, so the big question is at which point in the process is the cookie placed on the visitor's machine? Because unless it gets placed on the machine BEFORE these redirects kick in, then the conversion code is never going to work. Or am I missing something?

Who adds the conversion cookie? How and when?

If someone can check my logic and tell me what is likely to be happening I'd be really grateful ;-)

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the exact process for the AdWords conversion tag?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Steve,

It is my understanding The cookies are dropped immediately upon the visit, (as long as browser accepts cookie), the redirects should not matter. (IMHO)

I think this setup explained in the article is the best setup and solution

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/AdWords-Conversion-code-with-Google-Tag-manage...

Using the tag manager and Event listener and rules to call it directly from adwords clid make the most sense.

I am not a expert on this by any means at all, and would love others to chime in with there knowledge.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Can you share what the website is so we can check? Is it possible to do a test conversion?

The issue isn't setting the cookie (it's set when you click on the ad, not when you convert), it's firing the conversion tag itself.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I cannot share the url publicly, I'm afraid..... I would be very keen to discuss this further, however.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Thanks @Eric Gehler - this is what I am struggling with. It makes sense that the cookie is attached at the ad click - but we're not seeing any conversions at all after a site redesign a while ago - and in GA all conversions are being tagged as internal referrals which is clearly not the case - as I mentioned, there are all kinds of redirects going on here and the site is so complex they've brought in an expert to trawl through the site and fix - it's a massive job.....