AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best way segment lead gen conversions vs paid converions in adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I run an adwords account which measures both people who pay for a service and sign up for a guide. Despite targeted ads and landing pages, a good many of the people we target for a paid signup conversion, download a guide instead. I see no way of attributing paid signup convewrions to just our paid signup campaigns and lead gen conversions to just our lead gen campaigns.

The only thing I can think of is to limit our signup landing pages so that's it's difficult for people to find our guides, but if they don't convert right away and come to our homepage via search, they'll be confronted by the guides again.

Suggestions? Anybody have expeirnce with this issue? Thanks!

Chris B

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the best way segment lead gen conversions vs paid converions in adwords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmm, a tough situation. You can´t get a report with attributions between types of conversions, only between sources (as far as I know).
But, I guess you could set up custom variable with Analytics to track people who did sign up for a subscription to see if they later also make a purchase

Re: What is the best way segment lead gen conversions vs paid converions in adwords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

You'll need a bit of server side work. You simply do not trigger a B conversion for an A ad campaign and viceversa. Once someone arrives from an A ad, you only show the conversion code on the A conversion page. Same for B.

A programmer is required for that.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah ha. That is a fancy solution. Though I doubt I could get it on our programming priority list.

Adwords does let you segment "many-per-click" conversions by conversion name. So I can sort of work out the numbers myself, but it's not a perfect method. 

I'm going to remove the guide signup from my landing pages, and I'm limiting the cookie duration for my guide conversions to 1 day. So if they pay for a sign up and then sign up for a guide, it will only count if they do it within one day.