AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What if Auto Tagging + Manual Tagging are working together?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Suppose there a display campaign running though Adwords with auto-tagging ON. For some reason I have tagged the LP URLs manually as well.

Do you guys have idea how will this appear in GA report in Adwords section? I want to know - will this cause any conflict or error in reporting?

Thanks 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What if Auto Tagging + Manual Tagging are working together?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Once you auto- tag - I don't think you need to manually tag;
Read more:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rohit K
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Rohit.

It depends on what kind of tags you're adding, apart from the gclid that gets automatically appended to your URLs.

If they are custom tags, they don't interfere with auto-tagging. If they are utm tags though, then it depends on how you configured your Analytics property.

You have a checkbox there in the "Property Settings" section (Advanced Settings) which allows you to have your UTM values override your GCLID values. If you check it, you'll see UTM values. If left unchecked you'll end up with the GCLID values, in spite of having UTM ones present as well.

Of course, as @MosheTLV said, you don't have to tag anything manually (except custom tags if you have any) once you enable auto-tagging.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Calin. Yes as you said, I figured this out under property settings.
By default it remains checked, that means my manual tagging will override autotaging (GCLID).