AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What does "anonymous.google" mean in my Placement Performance Report?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi AdWords Community,

I’m Sonakshi from the AdWords team, and whilst communicating with a lot of advertisers, I’ve seen a lot of questions around the anonymous.google placement in the Google Display Network Placement report. So here I am today to shed some light on this placement. Hope it helps!

Before we begin, let’s see how you can find it in your Placement Report.

PPR.png

Some publishers who’ve partnered with Google via the AdSense program, and provide us with the slots for placing your ads on the Display Network, choose to offer these placements anonymously and not disclose their site names to advertisers for various reasons.

But there has to be some information for us to be able to see whether our ads are showing on authentic websites or not, right?

Absolutely, yes. Google is a huge fan of credible sources, and we believe in keeping our advertisers well informed. You can access the reporting statistics of your ad placement by check-marking the “anonymous.google” placement and clicking on the “See Details” button. This will give you a break up of individual anonymous publishers. From there, you can also choose to exclude them using Placement Exclusions.

Feel free to drop a line in the comments section below with any questions, and we’d be more than happy to address them!

Cheers,

Sonakshi

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What does "anonymous.google" mean in my Placement Perfor

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Sonakshi,

Most of the time I do not get the detailed break up of individual publishers in anonymous.google as a placement.
it will b appreciable if I get the proper reason regarding this.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: What does "anonymous.google" mean in my Placement Perfor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I checking out one of the placements where the clicks were high. I was appalled when nude images showed up on the placement site!! The text contained the keywords that I was targeting but it was a fake website with keywords randomly placed!! Now I'm worried that there might be similar websites in anonymity and I have no control over it. As I don't see individual publishers always, as mentioned by Archit

Re: What does "anonymous.google" mean in my Placement Performance Report?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Sonakshi A - thank you so much for posting about this! This is very helpful.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

N/A
# 5
N/A

@Sonakshi A

I have followed your process for finding seeing the details of the anonymous.google placements. However, I just get most anonymous google placements with some numbers in front. and Am unable to search those placements.

Is there something I'm missing? I get great results from these placements, I'd just like to know what type of sites these are. 

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Emma

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So he's saying you can see results against all individual anonymous domains but you still can't see what those domains are. Each individual publisher is given a number so you could remove some that are not converting or working well.

Really happy to have someone address this Sonakshi. It's not really a popular answer though as the anonymising means buyers don't know what they're getting. Considering the questionable quality of a lot of the domains on the network it makes people really suspicious of the quality of space we're receiving.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This does not help at all. When I click on details I only see more anonymous google. In fact, most of the clicks on my display ads are from these 'hidden' sites.

Why do they do that? What's their gain? I'm blocking them, that's for sure. I don't trust this at all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I exclude those sites? Does this affect my display ads? 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2015.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.