AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What do the number is ad position mean

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What do the number is ad position mean 1.5 or 3.5 or 4.3 I assume the bigger the number the more far down my ad is but it am not clear on where exactly.  Please explain or give me a link that does.  Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What do the number is ad position mean

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

You are correct in that the higher the number, the lower your ad's average position has been on the SERPs.

See Ad position and Understanding ad position and ad rank for a detailed explanation.

If you have other questions after reading the help center material, please feel free to post again!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi There,

Adding to Theresa's accurate answer, an ad position of 1.5 means your ad usually appears on 1 and 2 positions.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

Obviously there is no position "1.5" but it's an average to help with your optimization.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to add to what Ratan and Therasa have said, because they've answered it perfectly, Ad Position determine where your Ad appears, and its been determine by Ad Rank which is equals to Max bid * Quality scores (that's Ad Rank = max bid * Quality scores) . For example, there are 3 advertiser A, B, and C, and they have Ad Rank of 24, 18 and 20 respectively, A will have number one Ad position (Ad position =1), follow by C (ad position = 2), and follow by B (Ad position = 3). let say will now have a fourth advertiser D, that have an Ad position of 1.5. Compared to the first stated example, Advertiser D will follow Advertiser A, taken the place of Advertiser C on the search engine in terms of Ad appearance. So the Ad appearance in terms of Ad position is A, D, C, B.

I hope this example help to some extent.