AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What are the benefits of Campaign URL TRACKING?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what are the benefits of dynamic tracking of Campaign url while I already enable the auto tagging in my google adowrds account and my ad word and analytics accounts are already connected to each other.

Thanks,

Frank

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What are the benefits of Campaign URL TRACKING?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Frank,

Are you referring to value track parameters?
Sumanth Sridhar

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Frank,

As Sumanth mentioned, you maybe referring to 'Value Track Parameters'. If you are looking to understand the difference between using these parameters and enabling Auto tagging, let me try and help you here.

Firstly, Enabling 'Auto Tagging' in your AdWords account allows track conversions and and report on your ad performance with the help of tools such as 'Google Analytics'. Basically, every time a click occurs on your ad, a dynamic parameter is created and appended to your Destination URL that allows you to track each visit in GA along with other details such as the campaign and CPC's.

Here is a good link on AdWords help on this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en

Whereas 'Value Track Parameters', are parameters that we need to manually append to each of our ad copies and has a template that we need to adhere to such as "campaign=campaignname". These parameters can also pick up every such detail directly from AdWords for which the template is different.

The whole point of using these parameters is to allow us to track the complete hierarchy of the campaign to Ad Copy & Keyword that triggered the ad at our back end. Basically, when a user clicks on our ad and completes a conversion action on our Landing Page, these parameter values (appended in the URL) are stripped and then stored at the back end (E.g. - a CRM). This way all these parameter values are appended right next to the lead details in your CRM. So essentially, Value track parameters help us track the complete source for each of our leads recorded via our landing pages.

You can read more on Value Track Parameters here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Shashank,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes i want to pass some value in my landing page and track them for my better campaign performance that's why there is one more query in my mind if I use manual tagging in the campaign URL then we need to disable auto tagging from ad word account setting.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Frank,

This is a good question and for a while I too was a bit confused on this one.

There is a common misconception that when you use 'Value track parameters', you cannot keep Auto tagging enabled in your AdWords account. The truth is, if you are not using the prefix 'UTM_' against your campaign and other parameters that you want to track, then you can keep the Auto Tagging enabled.

As you already know, Value track parameters basically help you track performance data in your Analytics account but the same values can also be stripped from your destination URL and recorded in your CRM.

So you can freely use the Value track parameters in your URL's as long as you are not using the prefix 'UTM_' .

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Frank,

Found a similar query on the community which was addressed in the past.

Here is the link: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Value-Tracking-and-auto-tag/td-p/62280

Do give this a read and it should help you figure out your next step.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shashank,

Thanks a lot shashank. It was very helpful. Few doubts of mine are cleared now.