AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

What am I looking at?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi,

I can't get my head around this...

I drill down to the content report - pages... and I see this:

So take row 3... 208 page views and an average of 3.17 minutes on the page - great - I get that!

and 9 visitors came to the site directly to that page... OK...

and 100% of them bounced... here's where I start to get lost... as I understand it - everyone of the people that entered the site on this page bounced - so that's the 9 of them - not the 208.... how am I doing?

Now the last bit... 58.17% of the people who got to this page exited the site here (???) - so that can't be from the 9 - because we've already established that ALL of those left the pageand the site there because they all bounced.... so this must be from the 158 unique visitors to the page... of THOSE 58% left the site once they got there....

Or am I missing something? I know it can't be the percentage of the people that left the site - since there's clearly far more than 100% in total...

I'm trying to understand this data because it clearly holds insights into which pages are negaging and which are leaking visitors - any confirmation or correction ot my reasoning would help save another few neurons of my sanity!

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What am I looking at?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stickleback,

This is a tricky part of Analytics...I'm not going to pretend that I can explain this better than Google but the key is to understand the sessions.

Check out this page, it could help you out:  Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Stickleback,

All bounces are exits, not all exits are bounces.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author stickleback
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks to both....the link actually does explain it - on second or third reading...

It is a little confusing - but, By George, I think I've got it!