AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Website Call Conversions - Reporting calls after session.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Website call conversions triggers a goal when a prospect makes a call on a Google forwarding number. However, if no active users are on the website when someone makes the call, how does Google assign the phone number and where is it reported?

Thanks,

Jake

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Website Call Conversions - Reporting calls after session.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jake,

This would actually depend upon the conversion window that you have actually assigned while setting up the website call conversion tracking. For example if that's one week, then any user who have actually saw that Google forwarding number (in ad and then on the website) within a week, if that user calls up that number, call will be routed to your business number and will be tracked as a conversion inside AdWords.

More details are here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6100664

Types of phone call conversions you can track

You can track 3 kinds of phone call conversions:

• Calls from ads: Track calls made directly from call-only ads or call extensions used in your ads.
  • Calls to a Google forwarding number on your website: Track calls made when someone clicks your ad, then calls a forwarding number we display on your website. We can report detailed call information such as call length.
  • Clicks on a number on your mobile website: Track calls made when someone clicks your ad, then clicks on a phone number, button, or link on the mobile version of your website. In this case, we can only track these clicks, not the phone calls themselves.

For case 2 a sequence of 2 actions click and later call , what is  the maximum time frame between the two user actions which can lead to a call conversion being tracked :

1) tap  on the ad

2) not immediately dialing the forwarding number seen on the destination URL website

It does not seem to be specified . Maybe it is only 24 hours.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Pankaj and Adrian,

Thanks for your replies.

My understanding of this software (I've been using variations of this for several years) is the user has to be in an open session on the website in order to track the call to a specific keyword.

For example, if I have 5% call conversion rate, then 95% leave without making a call. If the call happens after the session ends then there's noway to know which of the 95% made the post session call.

Also, I believe that the assumption with this software is that the user calls while they have their browser open.

So I'm trying to understand how the post session calls get reported in AdWords. I assume they're not tracked against any particular keyword since that would be wildly inaccurate.

Thanks,

Jake