AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Way more conversions than clicks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For one of my ad groups, I have noticed I am receiving many more conversions than clicks. For example, my data today says 8 clicks and 71 conversions. The conversions are 1-per-click conversions. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Way more conversions than clicks!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Lizzy ,

Where did you add the conversion code ? For example if it is added to every page by mistake,  it will count every page access as a conversion . A visitor can click once on the Ad and then visit 8 pages in your site .

Is conversion added as a copy -paste code from adwords or as an imported goal from Google Analytics ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lizzy F,

If I understand you correctly, you are looking a today's performance. That data is incomplete. There's very little value to watching AdWords performance in real-time, and it can take up to 24 hours for the data to be complete. It's best to wait until the next day to review the performance.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not in charge of the website, but I had our webmaster add the code to the landing page that shows after the ad is clicked on. I will double check to make sure the is not on every page, which would explain why there is a 1000% conversion rate.
I copy and pasted the conversion code and sent it to the webmaster to ad.
Does Google count a conversions on pages from any of the ads? Or is a conversion specific to a certain ad group?
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Lizzy, there really wouldn't be any benefit in adding the Conversion Code to your landing page simply to record a conversion every time someone lands on your site.  Conversions are typically used to record a desired action such as a  sign-up or an online sale and are triggered only when that action is completed and confirmed.

Conversions are tied to an Account and are allocated to Keywords, Groups and Campaigns automatically.

As Pete has said, I suspect you're looking at too recent data and it also sounds like you're not using the Conversion code as it was intended so you may need to re-evaluate your plan...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits