AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

WEB TRACKING CODE SNIPPET

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can generate the web tracking code and I can paste it into the HTML text of my HOME page either at the beginning or endof the text, but I still get a message saying the code has not been installed. What am I doing wrong? Malcolm 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: WEB TRACKING CODE SNIPPET

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi A11band22,

That's really hard to say. A question first, do you mean the Google Analytics web tracking code? If that's what you mean, you're question might be better answered on the Analytics forum.

From here I will assume you mean the Analytics tracking code, since the conversion tracking code should not be on your home page.

OK, you said you can paste the code either at the beginning or the end of the text. That's not where you would place the tracking code. The new asynchronous code should go in the head section of your document. You are likely using some sort of CMS to manage your site. There will (usually) be a "header" and a "footer" that is used by all pages. You will find the "head" section of the document in the site "header". That's where the code should be.

Many CMS systems provide a plugin for the GA tracking code. Take a look and see if such a thing exists in your system. Otherwise, find that "header" an paste the tracking code in.

Oh, one other thing. If you are talking about the AdWords conversion code, that should go on your "thank you" page--the page that follows the conversion action-not on your home page and not on any other page on your web site. If you place that code on the landing page, every click will look like a conversion, and that sort of efeats the whole purpose of tracking conversions.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: WEB TRACKING CODE SNIPPET

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanks for your help. Regards Malcolm