AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

View-through conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have a question about View-Through Conversions?

This is the case:

A user seen my ads on example1.com, example2.com, & example3.com and later convert via google organic result.

On which site the VTC count? First site (example1.com)? Last site (example3.com)? or all of them?

Thank You & Best Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elia M
September 2015

Re: View-through conversions

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When I think of view-through conversions I think at how they are incremented, and they use the doubleclick.net cookie to do this so let's search for information in the double click site :

https://support.google.com/adxbuyer/answer/166343?hl=en

Quote : 

"  Counted: Conversions are counted when there's a display impression on content. We count all conversions not associated with a click and attribute them back to the last impression in the last 30-days. Consequently, a single impression can be associated with multiple view-through conversion events.

Attributed: View-through reporting attribution follows the industry standard of last click, last impression attribution. This implies that the conversions are first credited to the last click, and if there's no click in the last 30-days, then they're credited to the last impression, preceding the conversion.  "

There was in June 2013 an interesting addition to the analytics MFC reporting to show how impressions assist conversions and now we can see this information with icons saying "Display" with an eye drawed on them in the analytics MFC "Channel Grouping Path".

So the "Display" with an eye is an impression in the following report. Look at this example of how many "direct" conversions were preceded by a paid Ad impression ( and probably converting visitors remembered the site/brand) :

http://online-behavior.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/Content/articles/multi-channel-path.jpg

(edit : spelling)

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Very interesting question. I suppose that only the last ad the visitor see, in this case an ad on example3.com, will be attributed to the conversion. I think so because of the fact that AdWords is attributing a conversion only to the last AdWords click.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I'm not sure about that - because the last click would naturally be from the organic visit. The VTC does not - by definition - result in a click.....

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't understand your point. We are not talking about click-trough conversions... Elia is asking which ad is counted as a view-trough conversion: the first ad seen or the last ad seen. I say the last ad seen. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Igor & Stickleback,

Thanks for the answer.

However, I'm still curious about this. I hope someone have a different opinion =).

Regards

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Sorry Igor, my bad - I misread your answer....

I'm not usre if the system would be able to allocate - but it's a great question.

My pet hate about VTC's is that an ad is counted as having been seen if it is on the page rendered - even if it is below the fold and the visitor never scrolls down to make it visible....
crediting these ads with VTC status is, frankly, ridiculous in my opinion - one of the reasons I don't like VTC's....

It is akin to placing an ad in a magazine and then claiming the ad worked because someone who bought your product once sat next to the magazine in the dentist's waiting room.

...it's a great question though!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elia M
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When I think of view-through conversions I think at how they are incremented, and they use the doubleclick.net cookie to do this so let's search for information in the double click site :

https://support.google.com/adxbuyer/answer/166343?hl=en

Quote : 

"  Counted: Conversions are counted when there's a display impression on content. We count all conversions not associated with a click and attribute them back to the last impression in the last 30-days. Consequently, a single impression can be associated with multiple view-through conversion events.

Attributed: View-through reporting attribution follows the industry standard of last click, last impression attribution. This implies that the conversions are first credited to the last click, and if there's no click in the last 30-days, then they're credited to the last impression, preceding the conversion.  "

There was in June 2013 an interesting addition to the analytics MFC reporting to show how impressions assist conversions and now we can see this information with icons saying "Display" with an eye drawed on them in the analytics MFC "Channel Grouping Path".

So the "Display" with an eye is an impression in the following report. Look at this example of how many "direct" conversions were preceded by a paid Ad impression ( and probably converting visitors remembered the site/brand) :

http://online-behavior.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/Content/articles/multi-channel-path.jpg

(edit : spelling)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Great! Now I undertand.
Thank you guys for the reply & have a great Sunday!

Regards