AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

View through conversion is actually a conversion?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Does view through conversion should be considered as a conversion in Display Network?
Its confusing me a lot. i am confused when i saw the results that showing in my display network campaign i am getting 10 to 15 view through conversions in a month but not showing any no. of conversions in my conversion tab.

How to measure these type of conversions?

Any Suggestions..

-Rick

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: View through conversion is actually a conversion?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rick,

Let me try to explain if I can...

View Through Conversion counts only for your Display ads, rich media ads, where the user has saw your ad, but has not converted during the first view. And later, if the same user converts, Adwords will give the credit to that particular display ad and you will see View through Conversion number for your respective display ad.

Click Conversion is simply user clicked on your ad and then converted on your website.

I think if you are really getting 10 to 15 View Through Conversions, it should be really good for your website. You can see the data and match with your database in order to see the real profit coming out from Google Display Network.

There are more details covered in this article.

Hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rick,

Conversion and view thorough conversion both are different with each other.

Conversions means When a person who clicked your ad completes a valuable action on your website, such as buying something or requesting but View-through Conversions occurs when a user views (but doesn't click) an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion (i.e. purchases your product or signs up for a newsletter).

If the same user who views an image or rich media ad also clicks on a search ad, both search and View-through conversions will be counted. 

May be there is no direct conversion in your account thats why there is no conversion showing in your conversion tab.

Just a thought of mine!

Thanks
Anchal

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

This is an interesting topic.

views an image or rich media ad also clicks on a search ad

@Anchal: so if that user clicks another display-ad and then converts, that conversion will not create a view-through conversion?

but has not converted during the first view

@Pankaj: what happens if that user sees the same ad (or ads in ad group or campaign) mutiple times and then converts by clicking 1) another ad in that ad group, 2) an ad in another ad grpup?

If I have an campaign with 6 conversions and 18 view-through conversions (it´s re-marketing) - what do you think of that?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

@Anchal: so if that user clicks another display-ad and then converts, that conversion will not create a view-through conversion?

ans:  such kind of conversion know as Click-through Conversion.

As Google says:

View-through Conversion happens when a customer sees an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion on your site. This is different from a Click-through Conversion, which happens when a customer had previously clicked on an ad (such as on the Google Search or the Google Display Network) and then completed a conversion on your site.

Hope it helps!

Thanks
Anchal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rick85
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Pankaj: what happens if that user sees the same ad (or ads in ad group or campaign) mutiple times and then converts by clicking 1) another ad in that ad group, 2) an ad in another ad grpup?

@ David: It will depend upon your advanced de-duplication settings...

If it is disabled, conversion will be counted in both (i.e. View through Conversion as well as Click through Conversion). If it is enabled, Conversion will only count for Click through Conversion because View through has been superseded by Click through. This means that only unique and last conversion type will get the benefit.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All thanks for giving me useful information about view through conversions & share ideas on this topic, all i kept in my mind

It means i m going the right path...

Thanks,Smiley Happy

-Rick

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
@Anchal: but does it matter if the last click (before conversion) is on search or display ad? Will a display ad conversion create a view through conversion for another display ad you think?

@Pankaj: so the same ad group/ampaign can get both a view through conversion AND a click through conversion for the same user, but for different ads, you reckon?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

View-through Conversion happens when a customer sees an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion on your site.

@Anchal: So they later complete a conversion... but this isn't tracked within adwords conversions as it wasn't directly a conversion from adwords? I.e. it doesn't count towards the cost per conversion and conversion rate?

If it isn't I would like to count it and revise the cost per conversion and conversion rate as it was directly affected by the display ad campaign. But if it is already counted then I don't need to do anything!

Thanks!