AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

View-through conv vs Conv. (many-per-click)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords ppl,

I got my remarketing banner results and I see there are a lot of View-through conv.

So do you AdWords ppl use some formula to conver View-through conv to Conv. (many-per-click)?

for example      View-through conv / 4 = Conv. (many-per-click)

Thanks

Find me at Google+ l LinkedIn

- Lukas
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: View-through conv vs Conv. (many-per-click)

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The view through conversions are organic/refferal/direct conversions that were preceded by at least 1 impression of an Ad (without click) .

So on their own they are conversions, but they are also a way to measure organic conversions "influenced" by your ads without the click-asist action.

Now depending on how you setup the Enabled/ Disabled setting, you can have less View-Through conversions if you have the Enabled setting.

They explain it really simple in the help page :

"The data you see in your reports can be affected by how you're tracking view-through conversions. Here's how, depending on whether or not the feature is enabled or disabled in your account:

• Disabled: If a customer views your display ad, doesn't click it, and then later clicks on a search campaign ad, we'll count one view-through conversion and one click conversion.
  • Enable: If a customer views your display ad, doesn't click it, and then later clicks on a search ad, we'll count only the last conversion type (the click conversion, for example)."

This number is useful for determing Placements with very few conversions from clicks and many conversions from the influence generated by the thousands of impressions. If a placement has dozens of View-through Conversions and almost no Click-conversions, you can keep it but if a placement has very little conversions from both categories, you can pause or delete it.

Also from the help page :

"

Benefits of view-through conversions

View-through conversions is a helpful way to track the value of your display ad campaigns on the Google Display Network. That's because it measures the conversions where a customer saw -- but didn't click -- a display ad on the Google Display Network before completing a conversion. In turn, this can help determine the best places to advertise.   "

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Adrian,

where can I disable / enable it?

- Lukas

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Amazing enough I couldn't find it in the help page, so I made a print-screen from the Menu when you setup a new conversion , there is a small blue text on the bottom of the page "Advanced options" , after you click on it you see the option :

view-through-conversion-enable.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I wanna make sure if I understand it.

if I have set it to Enable  -

someone see my banner (no click) then he click on my text ad and then make conversion. Text ad will get conversion and banner will get nothign.

if I have set it to Disable  -

someone see my banner (no click) then he click on my text ad and then make conversion. Text ad will get conversion and banner will get view through conversion.

in case someone see my banner (no click) and he get on my page without clicking on banner or text ad and make conversion. Will this be measured?

Thanks

- Lukas

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No No no, there is no difference between text ads and banner ads, they are all called "Display ads" in that help page.

The conversion code is a script on a page and when someone acceses that page it sends the data to adwords.

The duplication enable/disable is for counting only "view through conversions" separately from the paid conversions or not.

A view through conversion can be incremented in 2 situations :

1) When a conversion (click on a contact page for example ) is happening after a click on an ad

2) When a conversion (click on a contact page for example ) is happening after onre or more impressions of one or more ads ( without a click) , even if they are text ads or banner ads .

Just like the remarketing lists, adwords is able to track visitors on your pages even if they arrive from organic sources not paid.

If you want to know only how many "view through conversions" happened in the second case , which means only the ones that are not associated with paid conversions, you set on "Enabled".

For example you have Ad1 and Ad2 , and conversion page contact1, you can have 3 situations :

1) For any situations when a user has an impression of Ad1 or Ad2 (without clicking on them ) and later on visits your site through an organic visit and then clicks on the contact1, ViewThrough conversion gets incremented by 1 but Click-conversions do not get incremented, because he arrived on contact1 without clicking on an ad.

2) For the Setting on Disabled :

User sees Ad1 , clicks on Ad2, then gets to contact1, you have two incrementations,

a) "View through conversions" by 1 because he got to contact1 after he received two impressions from Ad1 and Ad2 and

b) "Click-conversion" by 1 because a conversion happened after a click on Ad2

3) For the Setting on Enabled

User sees Ad1 , clicks on Ad2, then gets to contact1, you have one incrementation,

a) "View through conversions" does not get incremented although he got to contact1 after he received two impressions from Ad1 and Ad2 and

b) "Click-conversion" by 1 because a conversion happened after a click on Ad2

This is how I interpret things about "view through conversions". Feel free to ask the question in a new thread to chalange other users to give you answers if it is unclear.