AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Video ads. Views vs. Video Impressions:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there,

I have set my test video ad and I dont understand some of my statistics (see difference):

Video: 860

The views column displays the number of times your video ad was viewed by the user, within the selected campaign. A view occurs when a user watches your video. For TrueView video ads, the views on your video ad will also count toward your public YouTube viewcount.

Video Impressions: 3 630

Video impressions are counted only for in-stream ads. In-stream is a format where your video ad begins playing without a user clicking to watch the ad.

For example, a user clicks on a link to watch a YouTube video. Before the video they select plays, a video advertisement will play. For this format, we count a video impression when the video ad before the user-selected video content begins playing.

can someone better explain me the difference?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clara H
September 2015

Re: Video ads. Views vs. Video Impressions:

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Clara,

Thank you for your posting. To answer your questions:

Conversion tracking discrepancies between Standard In-Stream and TrueView In-Stream

You may sometimes observe the situation where number of conversions for Standard In-Stream is significantly lower than TrueView In-Stream (given the same bids, budgets, campaign setup)

This is because right now on TrueView In-Stream we're only setting the conversion cookie after the billable event happens, and for TrueView the billable event is the video view (30 seconds). So, the only website clicks where the conversion cookie is getting set are those that happen after 30 seconds. The rest are perfectly valid clicks, we just didn't get a chance to charge for those views yet so never set a conversions cookie to mark the user as eligible for a conversion.

By contrast, on Standard In-Stream, when bought on CPM, the impression is the chargeable event, and so all clicks on the ad are eligible for a conversion cookie.

For more how to Measure your Adwords for Video performance, please check the following link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375431?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clara H
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello John,

if I understand and John please correct me if Im wrong.

Clara in your table you can see also Video played to: 25% 50% 75% 100%
so your TrueView In-Stream counts for Video played to: 100% or 30sec.
And that is the case when you pay for it. In other case even some click on your video you will not pay.

- Lukas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clara,
so what's the difference between views and impressions ? and how come the views i see on the Youtube analytic is different from the impression i generate on the DSM ?