AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Video Tracking in AdWords and in GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a video campaign running over the last few months. I want to report the video performance and the impact it had on conversions/sales.

Looking in AdWords, I've had 40,000 views, 816 click to the website with 0 Last Click Conversions. On face value the data looks good (expect for conversions). Lets drill down to reporting, I use both AdWords and Google Analytics to report my data, I know video in a more in direct marketing channel this is why its important for me to use GA. In GA and the attribution report in AdWords both report 0 conversions and 0 assisted conversions! Yet in AdWords, View Through Conversions amount to 186.

Tracking is all set up right as I have no problems reporting the GDN and impression data, Auto tagging is also set up. I just can't see that 40,000 view of the video with Trueview Shopping has resulted to 0 conversions! and has assisted in 0 conversions.

Can anyone give me any advice? I hoping tracking isn't quite there with tracking Trueview in GA or has the video had just not had any impact what so every, which I can't believe.  

Thanks

Nathan 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Video Tracking in AdWords and in GA

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for posting to the Community! There are some differences in the ways that AdWords and Google Analytics report on conversion data, as well as lag time to account for. But first I want to understand which reports you're looking at in Analytics.

What is the date range you are comparing in AdWords and Analytics? And when you go to Analytics to view the performance of your campaign, which report are you going to (ex. Acquisition > AdWords > Campaigns, or somewhere else)?

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cassie

Thanks for getting back to me. The date range is from 18th November to the 12th January so the lag time shouldn't be an issue. The reports I'm looking at is the MCF reports in GA. The Acquisition > AdWords > Campaigns and > Video Campaigns report the same data in both AdWords and GA.

What I'm interested in in the conversions/transactions, the last click attribution reports 0 transactions. I'm not really expecting direct conversions with this, more assisted conversions. From the data I have 800+ clicks and 40,000 views, not one person who converted saw the video and converted! At no point of the buying cycle did someone view the video! This is why I think GA is not tracking Trueview, I have the display impression report on.

Thanks

Nathan

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Nathan,

My apologies for the delay here. Just a follow-up question, what are you tracking as a conversion action?

The Video Campaigns report in Analytics reports conversions based on direct clicks on your in-stream ads, whereas the AdWords report reports conversions based on your video ads being viewed. But I would still imagine that with that many views you would have some sort of view-through conversion--though it does depend on what you're tracking.

Let me know and I'll be able to look into this for you!
Cassie