AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

ValueTrack {placement}

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to use the placement parameter, however numerous ones come in empty for display campaigns. In Adwords, it seems that they are being reported as "Other domains".

Are there any other tracking methods to show which URLs delivered traffic? {placement} does not seem to be an accurate metric, since over half of the clicks I received over several months are being reported this way.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ValueTrack {placement}

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI Indiana-Mike,

While viewing the Networks Tab for the desired campaign, under the automatic placements report, click on See URL List and choose all.  From here you can click download to view and manage this list offline or you can select specific placements to manage bids or exclude the placement all together.

I think this used to be called a placement report, it may still be but the process to get there is slightly different than it used to be.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Is there an issue which prevents auto-tagging for analytics from working properly? I assume the placement value track parameter is for analytics data...

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your input on the reports. This helps get the cost data, however the {placement} tag seems to come in as a blank variable for the "Other domains" clicks. I would need this value to compile everything appropriately.

MIke

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Sorry captain, but the manual tagging thing is still new to me...

When you say "this" do you mean manual tagging? 

I can't help but think, that a TC like Calin for example, may be able to help you resolve whatever auto-tagging issues you may have... When auto-tagging works (which I don't understand the why, and the how of things, but), it couldn't be easier to track AdWords cost data through (now) multiple referall sources including, Google+, the adwords community, and now even various non-google search engines that, as of a month ago, I had never even heard of...

If, the real problem is that auto-tagging is not working properly, I believe that is something the TC's (especially Calin) could help you find a way to resolve in this forum. IF, the analytics program you are using is Google analytics. If not, I have no idea where to go, or who to ask, to help solve this problem. Smiley Happy This forum is an extremely valuable resource, but, primarily only for Google properties...

My experience with manual tagging, is limited to adcenter data, which I try to use manual tagging to show up in Google analytics. For some clients, 100% of the data gets reported accurately, by some miracle. Smiley Happy For others, 80% would be incredible...

What's really going on here captain, there are few topics which are taboo in the AdWords help forum. Don't pull a Danny Granger, or Raymond Felton (wanna trade?) and just shut it down once you get on the big stage. (That was terrible I know, but I am so upset with cupcake right now, probably as upset as you hoosiers are with Danny boy...)

What's really happening with the auto-tagging, that has set such a precedent, that the only way you belive to resolve the real issue, is to use manual tagging? IMO, auto-tagging has been taken to a whole new level recently, and if that's what's broken, you're missing out on a lot more than just the placement data...

If, auto tagging is the overall issue, maybe asking another question about why the auto tagging ain't workin', could entice a TC or so, to help you resolve that issue? My limited experience with manual tagging, is that it just does not compare to auto tagging, and you will never get what you really want out of it. Then again, in comparison to people like Calin, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Smiley Happy (where art thou adwiser?)

Maybe, rather than using a dynamic tracking parameter, you have to use a static tracking perameter? I have no idea how you would do that for every single placement, and every single ad, without having one ad per placement. If that were the case, I would toss my computer right out the window... Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your input! It looks like the {placement} value can come in empty either on automatic or managed campaigns. This seems true for roughly 25% of all clicks. Since the scope of {placement} is variable, there is no way that I can think of to manually tag these clicks.

A click ID ({creative} variable) could be a possibility, although not tested, - could then be reported back and used intelligently.

Thanks again!

Go Hoosiers!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Indiana-Mike
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Indiana-Mike,

The {placement} tag will return results for both the search network and the display network. But not all sites in either network provide this data. 25% no data sounds about right.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you petebardo,

It's nice to get a confirmation so I can move forward.

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
{placement} works for both display and search.

Sites that are "anonymous.google" will show up as a blank {placement}, as well as things coming from search.

"Other sites" just shows up until about 24 hours after traffic has run for the reporting day you're looking at, and then it files itself under the right sites.