AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

ValueTrack not displaying data in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have set up ValueTrack for all our Ad Destination URLs including two parameters - matchtype and keyword. Our current destination URLs look like www.example.com/?matchtype={matchtype}&keyword={keyword} . The Adwords account is integrated with GA and is set on Auto tagging.

When we are looking at our Reports in GA for Adwords, we see all the Adwords data is being passed properly but the ValueTrack data is not there. When we click on Destination URLs under Adwords in GA, they show up as www.example.com/?matchtype={matchtype}&keyword={keyword} , instead of showing the actual keyword and matchtype that triggered the ads.

We want to capture specific keyword information that can be mapped to specific leads for CRM inputs and ROI calculations.

Can you please suggest what might be wrong in this setup . Is there a specific way to "Activate" ValueTrack ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ValueTrack not displaying data in GA

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Saptarshi,
Interesting. At first glance, it looks like you've got your URLs set up correctly.

I'll reach out via email to get some account details, and check to see what is going wrong.

Kathleen

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Hi Saptarshi,

I've looked into this for you. If you want to see values from ValueTracks on Analytics, the only possible way to do this would be by using manual tags. So, ValueTrack {keyword} should be inside "utm_term", while there's no parameter for matchtype (although you can send that encapsulated inside another utm as utm_content) ValueTracks' values won't appear for destination URLs reports on Analytics.

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I just sent an email to you requesting a reply, didn't see the reply here. You can ignore that email. The above reply definitely helps, just a little more clarification..

As per the above reply...

a) We need to use Manual Tagging to get ValueTrac parameters in analytics
b) To track keyword we can use utm_term={keyword}
c) For Matchtype you are suggesting use of utm_content, which is typically used for passing the "ad" value ? Can we use {matchtype} for that or do we need to hard code it ?

Now, we have been tracking the referral URLs in our CRM and in our CRM we are actually able to see the keyword and matchtype there but analytics doesn't show it. So currently,

In my CRM : we capture the full Google referral including the adurl=http://domain.com/lp/%3Fmatchtype%3Dp%26keyword%3Dmobile%2520app%2520programming
( you can see both the matchtype and keyword )

In my Analytics : http://www.xcubelabs.com/?phrase&matchtype={matchtype}&keyword={keyword}

If Google is passing the values in the URL ( even though I am using Auto Tagging), my Analytics is missing it.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Saptarshi,

Just cutting in here.

@Kathleen - Please correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't there an update from Google that was part of privacy issue that essentially retired the feature of capturing Keyword data in Analytics? Although the process you have mentioned here is the optimum way of getting this data, hasn't the update essentially nullified the whole process?

@Saptarshi - The only way you can access keyword level data is using your CRM. If the Keyword parameter is in fact recorded in you CRM, you can use it to optimize your campaigns/ keywords.

Another way to ensure that you record performance from each keyword is to hard code it using Keyword Level Destination URL along with the Matchtype.

Would love to hear from other on this.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"