AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Value Tracking and auto-tag

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi, just been reading up on ValueTrack parameters.

Quick q, if I start using ValueTrack parameters on destination urls to capture extra data for CRM, should auto tagging then also be turned off and replaced with manual tagging for utm_source, utm_campaign, utm_medium etc in order to continue capturing the Adwords data in GA?

Thanks

Whims

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Re: Value Tracking and auto-tag

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

If I was in your place I wouldnt turn off autotagging as if you turn it off you wont get clicks and cost data in analytics.

You can use following combinations of tracking without any problem

You can not use all 3 in following combinations

1. Auto tagging only
  2. Manual Analytics tagging
  3. Value Track manual tagging only
  4. Value Track manual tagging and auto tagging
  5. Value Track manual tagging and manual analytics tagging
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

ok, so as per my original question.. and your reply re #5 then yes, i can turn off auto tagging and replace it with manual GA tragging and value track parameters

Thanks
Whims :-)

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Whims,

Yes, you can turn off auto-tagging, but it will have an effect on the reporting detail. Your data will no longer show in the Advertising/AdWords section of Analytics. Instead, it will be under Traffic Sources/Sources/Campaigns. And you don't get all the detailed data you get wiht auto-tagging.

There is a limit to the length of the query string that AdWords will create. If you have many value track parameters, you could reach this limit, depending on how much stuff you add with value track values. My advice is to leave auto-tagging on, and do not use utm_ values. If you have both manual tagging and auto-tagging turned on and use the utm_ parameters, your traffic will report twice, once in the AdWords section and once on the campaign section.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks Pete, had been considering using these for an account.

Something i noticed in an account that is using these is that auto tagging is on however all adwords info in GA is coming up as (not set)

Value Tracking and auto-tag

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Bronwyn

If you are using ValueTrack parameters for a CRM I would recommend using a different query string parameter to put it under rather than a utm parameter.

This will allow you to keep auto tagging turned on for your Google Analytics data but also expose the required data for your CRM to capture.

For example, if it was the campaign id you wanted to capture, you could set up your tracking template with {lpurl}?cid={campaignid}.