AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Validation of an Ad link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone

I have a few questions. Since we are all working with lots of ad groups and even more ads it is difficult to manage all the links that Ads are linking to. So the question is: how do you test all your landing pages so it would not empty or 404 or irrelevant?

Google usually notifies when the landing page of the Ad becomes 404. But this is interesting also if lots of disapprovals due to 404 can lead to account suspension?

Thanks for replies in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Validation of an Ad link

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Usually, Google does not suspend on ad disapprovals. (e.g. Landing page does not exist)

However, if this becomes  a routine, and many ads are disapproved, you are at risk of account suspension.

So, you rather keep track on all your ad groups...Smiley Wink

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Zygissimo,

Interesting question, and one I have not considered as I don't have that many ad groups or destinations.

I don't have an answer, but a couple suggestions--I don't know if this will work or not. I'll revise that, I tested enough to know it is possible. This is what I would probably do.

Use the AdWords editor and export all your active campaigns and ad groups. There will be one column that is all your destination URL's, both at the ad level and the keyword level. It would be nice if we could pick just the destination column, but that does not appear to be an option. There doesn't seem to be an option to do this in the online UI.

Then I would write a script, most likely in PHP or Perl, that would read that exported (.csv) file in and test each one of those URL's and report back which are not valid (return a 404 error).

A tough task for an inexperienced programmer, but defintely doable.

Oh, yes, if you get lots of disapprovals you could get suspended.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

You can quickly check ad links (destination urls) across all your ad groups and sitelinks with our free tool that's currently in beta. Also, the ad text and on-page content is fetched so you can validate those match up correctly too! Basically, the tool uses AdWords API to pull an Ad Performance report for a recent period then automatically uses this report data to validate links, and Sitelinks are also fetched via the API.

After you've installed the software and connected your AdWords account (supports MCC accounts), this process involves just a few clicks.

Just one thing to note: If you've published new links within the last 3-4 hours, then it's possible the Ad Validator won't see them yet as it takes about this long for the data to be accessible through the AdWords API.

Here's more info about the Ad Validator feature of MarketFlare DNA -
http://www.marketflare.com/how-to/validate-ad-links/

Hoping this is useful!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

When you work with Googel Analytics and different 404-pages there can be an other solution.
Maybe you have different 404-pages per category or product.
Every 404-page must have the Google Analytics tracking code.

What you can do then is :

1. Create a new profile. In this profile :

2. Create a profile Include filter
Filter filed : Campaign Medium
Filter Pattern : cpc
Case Sensitive : no

3. Create a second profile Include filter
Filter filed : Campaign Source
Filter Pattern : google
Case Sensitive : no

4. Create third profile Include filter
Filter filed : Page Title
Filter Pattern : 404 (or other pattern that all 404 pages have - like : page not found)

The first and second profile filters only includes Google Adwords visitors.

Now you have in this profile visitors from Adwords, that visited a "page not found" page.
When you look at Content, Landing pages you see the "page not found" pages, visitors landed on by entering your  website. That could only be from a Ad.

You can see which 404-page belongs to which product or which category.
So then you can deduce which landing page URL they did try to visit.

Edit Extra : I have one website that produces a 404 page on the URL that was visited. Then you can see immediately  what the URL is that does not work.

In other profiles you can use table filters to see reports about 404 pages  Review the Navigation Summary for your website’s 404 pages, and see Previous Pages. You should be able to fix the requests, on the page from your website.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.