AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Utm tracking parameter for ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello community,

I am using utm source code for our Facebook ads. When I click on "ad groups" as an secondary dimension in Google Analytics it says right next to Source/ Medium facebook/cpc "(not set)". Is there any possibility that i can define my ad group i use in Facebook somewhere and then can check it via the secondary dimension "ad groups". Or is this dimension "ad groups" only for Google AdWords.

I hope you have an answer for that!

Cheers

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Utm tracking parameter for ad groups

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Robin G,
When you use Google Analytics to track traffic that is coming from a source other than AdWords, the best this to do is (as you are probably aware) use the URL Builder. Unfortunately this does not hold an AdGroup level parameter. I would suggest that you use one of the other parameters (Term, Content, Campaign Name, etc): https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Kathleen

Re: Utm tracking parameter for ad groups

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Robin,

With auto-tagging, your ad information from AdWords will be passed along to Google Analytics, with details including ad groups and keywords. If you're manually tagging a 3rd party link to track in Google Analytics, you have a limited amount of information you can pass with UTM parameters. Ad Group is not one of them.

You can read more about URL tagging and your options here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’