AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using upgraded URLs & How to upgrade your URLs client

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a question about how to upgrade client urls.  We make tracking software for clients and where the scenarios given in all of the google help desk and upgrade guides do not seem to fit our clients' needs as of present.

I've thoroughly read 
and

At present, they might have display url of clientname.com, not using final url (yet) and then 2 or 3 or even more sets of destination urls rotating in the same ad group, one unique url (and domain name) per ad, where url2 and url3 and possibly many more are not on the client's domain but on individually unique tracking URLs. Further, in the accounts of some of my clients, there may even be more than one client being promoted.

So, a typical account architecture might look something like this:

Campaign 1 - Blue Widgets (BlueWidgets.com)

AdGroup 1 - Branded

Ad 1 -
          Blue Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Blue Widgets today!
          Display URL: www.BlueWidgets.com

Ad 2 -
          Blue Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Blue Widgets today!

Ad Group 2 - Non-Branded

Ad 1 -
          Blue Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Blue Widgets today!

Ad 2 -
          Blue Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Blue Widgets today!

Campaign 2 - Red Widgets (RedWidgets.com)

AdGroup 1 - Branded

Ad 1 -
          Red Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Red Widgets today!
          Display URL: www.RedWidgets.com

Ad 2 -
          Red Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Red Widgets today!

Ad Group 2 - Non-Branded

Ad 1 -
          Red Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Red Widgets today!

Ad 2 -
          Red Widgets
          Buy some of our really
          cool Red Widgets today!

But, despite reading that, I still am unsure what steps to advise my clients to take next.  Because of the structure they most typically use, it seems that we should be using "Advanced - Group 3" (fromhttps://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6157310#plan), but is that correct?

It seems that I would have to recommend that they do the following:

Create a tracking structure you can implement as a shared tracking template across your account, campaign, or ad group from your existing destination URLs. (Note: You'll need to remove all tracking parameters from your existing destination URLs. The resulting URL becomes your final URL.)

Determine whether you'll implement your tracking template at the account, campaign, ad group, ad or keyword levels.

But if they create a shared tracking template, because of their current account structure and so many tracking domains in use, they cannot set a tracking template at the account level, nor at the campaign level and so doing so at the ad level, or possibly even the keyword level, would seem to be the only option.

Edit URL options at the ad level

From the Campaigns tab, go to the Ads tab.

Click on the ad whose URL options you'd like to edit.

Click Ad URL options (advanced) to expand the options.

Edit your tracking template and custom parameters, following the guidelines above.

Click Save.

So, here, do I then go to Tracking Template and choose Set Value, and there enterwww.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php and then for Add Parameters would I enter merely "id" so that the resultant entry would read {_id}? And, if all of this is correct, what would I put in the field immediately to its right, where one would would presumably enter the id= number, which wouldn't seem to be a template at all but rather where one would enter "abcabc" from the sample url www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc?

Now, just to clarify the making templates aspect, below is the example given by Google help desk.

Destination URL: 

Translates to:* 

Tracking parameters: url, kwid, ad

Converting that to apply to my clients' urls, like www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc, one would arrive to the following conclusions:
Tracking Parameters = id

But where this example is inapplicable to my clients' needs at the moment is that it assumes the url redirect is actually in the encoding, which it is not, as it is on the back end of our internal database.  Is there any other method?

So, next, our goal is to Write a new tracking template using your updated parameters.  The sample given is as follows: New Tracking template: http://tracker.com/redir?url={lpurl}&kwid={_kwid}&ad={creative}

Applying that to our URLs, we would be left with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc

Now, I have just done all of that, and then modified one of the ads currently in rotation as follows:

Originally, final url was not in use, display url would be clientsite.com and destination url would be withwww.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc

Now, after changes, display url would be clientsite.com, final url would be clientsite.com, and then Ad URL Options (advanced) would be with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php and first parameter’s name is id and value is abcabc.  Does this now mean that whenever someone clicks on the ad, that they would be brought to with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc or to with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?[{_id}=abcabc, in which case I’ll have to re-code my entire database with URL forwarding such that where with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?{_id}=abcabc is entered that it would actually forward to with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc?  Either way, I don’t think its working as when I hover over the ad and look in the status bar or actually click on the ad as it sits in the adwords ads tab, it does not lead to with www.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc but rather merely to clientsite.com, which is now my new revised final url.  So how would I get it to go to withwww.trackingdomain1.com/client_name.php?id=abcabc so it can be tracked?

I look forward to your advice.  Thank you!

Re: Using upgraded URLs & How to upgrade your URLs client

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To follow up on this, I've conducted an experiment. I used to use a display url and destination url that was like this:
www.displayurl.com
http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id=xxxxxxxxxx

Now, in my test, I've revised my ad so that display url still = www.displayurl.com and now destination url is no longer used and am using final url with that set = www.displayurl.com.

Then, in control set #1, I set a tracking template like this:
http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id=xxxxxxxxxx
and then set first custom parameter of {_id} and then set the value = xxxxxxxxxx

That worked! The ad was approved. But when I hover over the ad in adwords, it shows in the browser status bar that the underlying url is just www.displayurl.com. Is it only going to www.displayurl.com and not to http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id=xxxxxxxxxx, ie: not being tracked?

I then set up control experiment #2 as follows:
display url still = www.displayurl.com and now destination url is no longer used and am using final url with that set = www.displayurl.com.
I set a tracking template like this:
http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id={_id}
and then set first custom parameter of {_id} and then set the value = xxxxxxxxxx

That also worked! The ad was approved. But, again, when I hover over the ad in adwords, it shows in the browser status bar that the underlying url is just www.displayurl.com. Is it only going to www.displayurl.com and not to http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id=xxxxxxxxxx, ie: not being tracked?

So, which, if either, is correct? I want to make sure my clients' ads are all approved both now and post changes on July 1st, and yet want to make sure that clicks to all ads are being tracked, ie: ultimately going to http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id=xxxxxxxxxx before being redirected to www.displayurl.com.

Thank you.