AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using news stories as adword campaigns to drive traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

* disclaimer: please bear with with i'm very new to adwords as far best practice goes so i'm well out of my depth here.

I'm part of a very small online news outlet reporting on social media personalities and influencers and their gossip. I wanted to look at using adwords to start boosting traffic to our website. i thought i could run a small campaign through adwords with one of our more breaking stories and see if we could generate interest. For example "Celebrity X has just done y for reason Z"

My question is initially this sounded like a great idea, but before i commit to anything i thought i should see what any competitors are doing and i cant find a single advert on google where any news outlet is using adwords to push stories?!. From what i can see Trademark violation is not an issue as we are technically just reporting news and it's not fake news, so what am i missing?

Can any clarify why no media outlets are doing this? is it just not done or against the grain or even a violation of googles policies.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Keith S
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Keith S

Welcome to AdWords

This is correct. Due to the dynamic of news  is our era news organization rely on organic search and social media to "spread" / distribute   news and exclusive stories.

That said, if your blog business model is based on a paid subscription, you can promote the subsciportion usning AdWords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome thank for the guidance Moshe

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Part of what Moshe alluded to is the fact that the average per user value is likely much lower than the cost of acquiring a visit through search advertising - If you are only relying on onsite advertising for revenue. So that's likely why you don't see much in the way of paid search ads for larger or more established publishers.

If you did want to experiment with some AdWords advertising to help build your audience, display advertising may be a better option. Typically the potential audience is much larger, and CPC's are lower. There are plenty of sites (placements) you can target directly, or use methods like topics or interest categories to find your audience.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that, yes i'm chasing an audience building tool. Currently i'm not trying to monetize off the website at all i'm just looking for options to get more traffic to the site purely for audience growth.

Cheers

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

In that case, display is definitely the way to go. There's several interest categories under affinity audiences that would seem to fit your target audience. Or you could try combinations like topics and affinity audiences (target and bid) if you want to further refine your audience. Definitely start getting your remarketing lists setup. Google Analytics smart lists could be another option for you.

Just remember - Start with a small budget that you can afford to experiment with for at least 90 days. That way you can give yourself some time to get to know AdWords, and find out what works for you. Smiley Happy

Tom