AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using keywords with call to action phrases such as buy, purchase, order?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords recommends adding keyword phrases with actions such as buy, purchase, order to increase conversions for campaigns centered around e-commerce websites.  From my experience, I don't see how that many people would ever use those keywords as part of search queries when looking for products to purchase.  For example, if I am looking to purchase pizza for delivery, I would never enter "order pizza delivery," "purchase pizza," "buy purchase delivery."  Pizza delivery NYC would suffice.  Or if I was looking for a certain model of shoes to purchase, I would never enter "Buy Converse Sneakers," "Purchase Converse Sneakers," "Order Converse Sneakers."  I would type "Converse Sneakers Sale"  or "Converse Sneakers low-top free shipping" or something of that matter. 

I see the point for having Action phrases in the Ad Text, but who the heck searches for products with these call to action phrases?  Are there any stats to back this up?  Anybody have success with using these phrases added to their keyword list?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using keywords with call to action phrases such as buy, purchase, order?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Google suggests advertisers to add call to action phrases in adtext to increase the CTR and not in keyword phrases.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=tips.html

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99477

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Although I may be mistaken I am fairly sure I saw this somewhere in the tutorials since I took comprehensive notes on them.  There is a possibility that I may have wrote them down wrong and misattributed the call to action to keywords instead of Ad Text/Copy.  I will assume you are right for now and get back to with a link if I find information to the contrary.

Thanks. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi dogtown,

I am afraid but Adwords recommends using call to action in your ad copies but not in your keywords. In order to identify right set of keywords, you will have to think like a customer for your own website and then do the ground work. Putting yourself in customer's shoes will make you actually feel what they are looking for and what they might enter in the search engine to get your product or service. 

Honestly, for every Adwords account, the individual advertiser himself know what can work best. So although, you follow the best practices for selecting the keywords and optimizing them, but ultimately it's only you who knows what can be the best in your website's interest.

You can refer to this link for more details. How do I build the best keyword list?

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dogtown
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

In line with Pankaj's recommendation, I'd say it as other, smarter than me, have already said: When in doubt, test. Or Always be testing. Maybe some searchers use those search phrases. The only general rule is that there's no general rule Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

When in doubt, test.

I 'd like to add:  Even when not in doubt : test !

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dogtown
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Morning Dogtown,

I have to say I agree the call to action should go in the ad text and sitelinks maybe too and of course on your landing pages.  I have seen some keywords with a call to action but probably considered weak i.e. refrigerators for sale, buy used kitchen appliances, etc so I would try them.  I just added some like this to a clients account and while I did not think they would take off much they indeed did!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

marketsharer wrote:

When in doubt, test.

I 'd like to add:  Even when not in doubt : test !

I thought I had that covered by Bryan Eisenberg's book title, "Always be testing" Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Dogtown,

One of my unwritten rules of advertising is "You are not normal." It is not safe to assume that things that make sense to you will also make sense to your prospective customers. There is a reason phsychologist only study abnormal psychology, that reason being there is no normal other than "not abnormal". That's the idea of placing yourself in your customers shoes. It is not an easy thing to do. Thus, the best course is to "guess and test".

It is going to be different for each advertiser. You just need to find what works for you. If nobody searches for "order pizza delivery", it hasn't cost you anything but the couple of minutes it takes to add the keywords.

The other side of "always test" is "always evaluate and take action". If the 'action' keywords aren't producing the results you desire, you can alway pause or delete those keywords.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords