AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using affiliate links with Upgraded URLs

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I read the docs many times, and for some reason I can't seem to understand how to make it work with upgraded URL's, or worst, I think what I used to be able to do is not possible anymore. For this example I am creating fake links.

Suppose I have an affiliate link to amazon.com but the link is amazonaffiliate.com/afid=xxx&url=amazon.com

So, as amazon.com and amazonaffiliate.com are not the same domain I can't use amazon.com as display and final URL.

To make things more complicated, suppose I have my own tracker at mytracker.com

Before I would use amazon.com as display URL and mytracker.com as destination URL and then mytracker.com would handle all the clean redirects and track things in between.

I can't get my head around how to achieve the same results now with Upgraded URL's. My objective is to keep using amazon.com as display URL (as that is where users will end up) and be able to use my trackers and affiliate URLs in between.

Any tip on how to achieve this will be appreciated. I am crossing my fingers this still can be done, else it will be a mess.

Thanks!

Re: Using affiliate links with Upgraded URLs

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Yakito,

Thank you for posting your query in adwords community.

Let me make it easy for you understand how upgraded URL works. Remember, the final URL is an upgraded version of the destination URL. If you don't use tracking, there's no difference between them. So if you are using a third party tracking:

Here is an example:

My Landing page: www.amazon.com/shoes

My Final URL: www.amazon.com/shoes

Tracking Template:

?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Marketing&utm_campaign=Shoes&utm_term=Buy+Shoes&utm_content=Buycycle

i.e please put your base landing page URL in the final URL column. And then, put only the tracking parameters in the tracking template like above not the entire tagged URL like this: http://amazon.com/shoes?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Marketing&utm_campaign=Shoes&utm_term=Buy+Shoes...

On an other note, there is no change in the rule for display URL in upgraded URL. Hence; if your base LP is www.amazon.com/shoes, your display url can be www.amazon.com/shoes or www.amazon.com/buy_shoes

Please let me know if you require any additional clarification.

Thanks & regards,

Gokuldas K

Re: Using affiliate links with Upgraded URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Gokuldas,

Thanks a lot for your time! Unfortunately your explanation does not fully answer my question.

Previously with AdWords users were allowed to use clean redirects in the Destination URL.

So for example, if the Final URL was amazon.com my destination URL could be amazonaffiliate.com?trak=235

amazonaffiliate.com would track some information and the clean redirect the user to amazon.com.

This was allowed because of the clean redirect, for the user it was as going straight to amazon.com

With upgraded URLs, how can I use clean redirects for a scenario like the one I posted in my example, where the Final URL is different from the tracking URL domain.

Thanks again and excuse if I am not understanding correctly how to do it.