AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using ValueTrack with Dynamic Search Ads {keyword}

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a question about Dynamic Search Ads and the use of ValueTrack-parameters. Maybe you could help me out.

I want to track the keyword and matchtype of an search query for our third party software. We have added the following parameters to the landing pages:

http://www.domain.nl/?url={escapedlpurl}&keyword={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}

When implemented, we get back the following information without the keyword information. Does anybody know why? With normal text ads it functions normally.

http://domain.nl/zoekmachine-marketing?keyword=_inurl:http://domain.nl/zoekmachine-marketing&matchtype=b&gclid=CJ6W19K0t74CFQzItAodGEcAQQ

I will look forward to your answers. Thanks in advance!

Jorik

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jorik H
September 2015

Re: Using ValueTrack with Dynamic Search Ads {keyword}

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Jorik.

DSAs do not use keywords for targeting; they use Dynamic Ad Targets. That's why you'll not be able to track keywords in such campaigns.

The most you can do is to check your adwords reports for search terms and use the data you find there (but they will not populate your URLs).

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jorik,
Great question.

The {keyword} parameter doesn't actually pass the keyword that the user typed in. It passes the keyword that you bid on. Dynamic search ads are automatically generated from content on your website so you're not actually using keywords to trigger the ads, therefore, no keyword is passed.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the reason.

Hope that helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Well Smiley Happy. The fact that we posted pretty much at the same time no longer worries me, as I've seen it happen way too often Smiley Happy. But ending the message in virtually the same way is something that made me laugh, @Dave_Davis Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Jorik.

DSAs do not use keywords for targeting; they use Dynamic Ad Targets. That's why you'll not be able to track keywords in such campaigns.

The most you can do is to check your adwords reports for search terms and use the data you find there (but they will not populate your URLs).

Hope it helps.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jorik,
Great question.

The {keyword} parameter doesn't actually pass the keyword that the user typed in. It passes the keyword that you bid on. Dynamic search ads are automatically generated from content on your website so you're not actually using keywords to trigger the ads, therefore, no keyword is passed.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the reason.

Hope that helps.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Well Smiley Happy. The fact that we posted pretty much at the same time no longer worries me, as I've seen it happen way too often Smiley Happy. But ending the message in virtually the same way is something that made me laugh, @Dave_Davis Smiley Happy.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you (very much) both for your helpful, fast and clear answer!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor