AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using Google Analytics to Help Drive Advertising Goals

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi Folks,

For those of you that have Google Analytics accounts, and have linked the two correctly, you can now see some of your Analytics data within Adwords. One of the great things about having this Analytics data right next to your Adwords data is that you can start to make some important decisions on how visitors from Adwords are interacting with your website, and whether you are capturing the right audience.

Am I getting the right visitors?

The first insight you can gain is how users start to interact with your site once they have clicked on your ad. By looking at figures such as Bounce Rate and Avg. Visit Duration alongside your keywords - this post click insight gives you another view of the effectiveness of your campaigns and ad groups, which can help you make decisions about budgets, bids and which landing page to direct your ads to. You will quickly start to see whether the right people are getting to your site, and how they are interacting with it.

Consider for example the Bounce Rate column against an Ad Group’s clickthrough rate. You will quickly get a sense of whether your customers are seeing what they expect on your site after cling on your Ad.

High CTR and High Bounce Rate.  What can I do?

One observation that many advertisers make is that they see a really good CTR for their keywords and yet see a high bounce rate. Firstly this is a good indicator to improve your keywords - perhaps the wrong people are seeing the ad and coming through to your site.

Secondly it may be that the site itself is not best optimized to your business - perhaps consider redesigning your landing page, or optimize those pages so they correlate better with the search terms you are using.

Lastly, it's always good to bear in mind that if you only have one page on you site (a blog for example), Google Analytics doesn't register multiple pageviews unless visitors reload that page. As a result, single-page sites tend to have high bounce rates.

I hope you find this useful and if anyone has any tips to add on using Google Analytics data within Adwords, please share them! I’m also happy to answer any questions you might have.

Have a great day,

James

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Using Google Analytics to Help Drive Advertising Goals

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Thanks for the great post, James.