AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using GTM for AdWords Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I setup AdWords conversion tracking in GTM, is that already restricting the firing to just users whose source was cpc or do I need to figure out how to only fire the AdWords tag if source=cpc?

For example, I have the conversion tag rule set to fire if the user views a PDF.  Will the AdWords tag now fire regardless of the visitor source if it detects a view of the PDF, or is it understanding that it should only fire for cpc visits?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Danielle L
September 2015

Re: Using GTM for AdWords Conversions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Danielle.

AdWords conversion tracking will only ever fire if the visitor has arrive on your site via Google CPC.

Hope this helps.
Ryan.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi 

Sorry to butt in here just to add to @RyanHoldaway ' s point. you dont need to set any url parameters google adwords will set cookie only after user clicks on your add so the conversion will only be tracked after visitor has clicked on your ad and he downloads the pdf within 30 to 90 days from click. (Depending on conversion window you have set.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your responses, they are now tracking fine, I hadn't realized that the conversions lag 2 days behind when viewed in AdWords.  Switching to a less restricted date view enabled me to see the data that I thought had been missing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if using GTM to deploy Google Analytics and I've imported my goals into Conversions in AdWords with auto-tagging turned on there's no need to setup a conversion tracking in GTM?  It's automatic? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is automatic.