AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Users Location report: City names

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have downloaded the user location reports for several campaigns. I need to convert the location of users into income (based on the location).

US Census provides income data by county. When the most specified location in the user location report is a zipcode, I can convert that zipcode to county (several zip-county databases online) and from county to income (using Census data). But for around 30% of my data, the most specified location is not a zip code but a city.

Can anyone suggest how I can convert the city data to income? Are these city names standardized and available in any database? Ideally if I can find a city-income or a city-county database, I can get my job done.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.

Avi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Users Location report: City names

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

You might be able to match that using the API geo-targeting options. You'll need some help from an API programmer.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply!

I found a list of locations Google uses for reporting here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting 

I wonder where Google gets this list from. Is there a standard coding of cities (for counties there is FIPS codes)?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Check about that with the API developers forum;
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-api
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
This is manual labor so just do it.