AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Use a duplicate website - being clever with Asterisks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am wondering whether anyone has used the following setup in the UK for a local company.

We have a local landline number assigned to our VoIP system. This is our main company number.

Now, from what I understand I have no way to track this local number being called effectively through adwords unless I ask the customer. So, I had an idea - I could purchase a new local number and assign it to our Asterisks server and I can make a particular line light up from this number (we can even have a seperate phone just for adwords, this is the beauty of VoIP).

I was going to duplicate www.website.com into www.website.com/adwords with the website duplicated into the folder with only the number being different. Thus, our landing pages would be www.website.com/adwords (I will configure the URLs to be relative to /adwords/ too). We would also modify .htaccess and deny google from indexing the duplicate website.

This would give me a real accurate way to monitor the calls coming from adwords. Of course, it doesn't give me all information but we can certainly keep track of the value adwords is offering us.

Is this a good idea or have I missed something?

Thanks, hope I have explained this correctly.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Use a duplicate website - being clever with Asterisks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@bsddude;

Your best option  to easily track calls and easy to configure with AdWords is a Google forwarding number;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for reply. The issue is that I would like to use our local prefix which adwords doesnt seem to support. Would my solution have a negative impact?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You cannot block the AdBot from crawling the site. This is mandatory.

It sounds to me that you are trying to figure technical solution for an issue already solved both by Google and other vendors offering the service.

Instead of  a local number with a local prefix,   use an 800 number. A landing page well designed, combined with  an 800 number should convert. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’